Ink jet printer clean by raistlin

raistlin
The HP deskjet 1220c I just acquired arrived covered in ink :(

Looks like an ink spill during transit.

I have been running paper through the printer to try and clean up the paper path at least but it is still making marks on the paper.

Does anybody know of, perhaps, an impregnated cleaning sheet that can be run through please or some other simple way to clean the paper path?

I really don't have the time or the ability to strip the machine down :(

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:03 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 22 Jul 2010, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
Hi Paul,

I cannot understand how the ink managed to leak. I think your best course of action is to return the printer to your supplier, as it is clearly faulty. If it is a brand new machine the ink cartridges should have been sealed until opened by yourself.

Regards

Mike

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:08 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Mike, but the printer was a freebie from a friend.
Paul

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:14 #3 

Bermudan 75
Aah I see, I do remember having a HP620 inkjet that had something that you ran through the machine and it cleaned the heads etc. Sadly dementure has erased the details from my mind.

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:18 #4 

JohnDotCom
I only know of the Laser cleaning sheets.
Carbon Tetrachloride might clean up a Inkjet printer? but beware of fumes etc. :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:48 #5 

ceedy
Most ink jet is water soluble!

I had old deskjet that had a major ink leak .

I actually washed out !! avoiding getting the lectricky bits too wet, it was worth the risk at the time !!

left it to dry for a few day and it was off again . with no probs ?? :gmc:
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 16:58 #6 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote:Carbon Tetrachloride might clean up a Inkjet printer? but beware of fumes etc. :gmc:

The problem is getting to the internals John... assuming one had access to carbon tet anyway ;)
Paul

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 17:00 #7 

Duncan
Having dismantled one before, they aren't always as complex as you might think.

Water with washing up liquid, and cotton buds can remove a lot of stuff too. I'd consider at least whipping the lid off and seeing if it's really so tricky.

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 17:15 #8 

nisfo
Get a sheet of blotting paper.

Run sheet feed and unplug as soon as the paper is under the feed rail.

Then leave it for as long as you wish ;)

Cartridges also leak through the nozzle when overfilled!! Just a pointer :)

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 18:24 #9 

raistlin
Does anybody know if there is a "waste ink collector" on these as there is on Epson ink jets?
Paul

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 18:45 #10 

raistlin
Downloaded the
Service Manual from HP

Fully equipped with EBR, IPA and cotton buds, began dis-assembly... only to discover that the service manual dis-assembly instructions bore no resemblance to the printer I had in front of me :evil:

It's going to be a shame if I have to throw it in the skip.

Thanks for the ideas chaps :)
Paul

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 20:31 #11 

Bermudan 75
Damn it Paul, we cannot let a mere HP printer defeat us !! :cheers: I have cleaned my keyboards by washing them with the dishes, still works, or else how could I have put this post up ? :rolling:

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 17:15 #12 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Damn it Paul, we cannot let a mere HP printer defeat us !! :cheers: I have cleaned my keyboards by washing them with the dishes, still works, or else how could I have put this post up ? :rolling:

Over four hours working on it last night. Left it until today for the IPA to fully evaporate, connected it up and got exactly the same marks :(
Paul

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:11 #13 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:Damn it Paul, we cannot let a mere HP printer defeat us !! :cheers: I have cleaned my keyboards by washing them with the dishes, still works, or else how could I have put this post up ? :rolling:

Over four hours working on it last night. Left it until today for the IPA to fully evaporate, connected it up and got exactly the same marks :(

So when you say IPA, do you mean Indian Pale Ale? :cheers:

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 16:32 #14 

raistlin
Oh well, easy come, easy go. Gone in the skip :(
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 16:37 #15