In Tank Pump Gone by MrB

MrB
The latest in the list of things I've had to sort with my 75.

Got out the car yesterday morning, at work, and heard a not very pleasant noise from the driver's side rear.

No whining noise upon opening or locking car from that area any more and there is a noticably louder pump noise coming from under the bonnet.

So guess the In Tank Pump has gone :mad1:

Going to order the pair of pumps from mkon, replace them both and keep the current UBP as a spare.

Really regretting buying this particular 75 now.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 27 Nov 2010, 21:07 #1 

jonjon77
blooming heck chris,not something else to do.you havnt had much luck with the car but after everything you have done to it,there cant be much left to go wrong.

jon

Posted 29 Nov 2010, 15:10 #2 

MrB
Cheers Jon

I know it needs at least one lower front arm too, as pointed out by Andy Willi when I had the clutch replaced over 1/2 term. Now have a knocking from passenger side as well, so I suspect that one needs replacing too.

Brake pipes will need replacing for next MOT in June too.

Could just do with a few months without any further problems.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Nov 2010, 22:38 #3 

MrB
Noticed today, while defrosting and warming the car, that it won't rev above about 3800rpm.

Is this due to the In Tank Pump having gone? Or is it yet another problem? :mad1:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 10:55 #4 

SpongeBob
If I recall correctly then the lack of revs/power could be directly related in that not enough fuel can be delivered thus causing the symptoms you see. Again, relating to the pump the ECU (Engine Control Unit) could enable "limp home mode" whereby the engine wont rev above 3500rpm(ish) to prevent further problems/damage in the event of a malfunction.

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 13:44 #5 

James.uk
Unfortunately there do seem to be an awfull lot of 75's running around that need most of the standard repair/replacements doing.. :roll:

I am firmly convinced that potential buyers should expect to spend about a £1,000 on top of the purchase price when buying a 2nd hand 75.. I personally would suggest they have the car delivered to someone like Jules once they own it, and then only take delivery once all the faults have been fixed.. :thumbsup:

In my own case, that's more or less what I have done, except I have spread the jobs over 18 months. I think my cars sorted now though :D .. I think Jules will heave a big sigh of relief to hear this.. heh heh.. :lol:

But ---- I do love Colwyn Bay and am unofficially declaring myself the official Norf Wales Organizational Wally for arranging meetings there as often as possible during the summer months, and I wont be bothered if no one else turns up coz there is nowhere i would rather be on a warm balmy summer afternoon than sitting in me deck chair on the sea front at Colwyn Bay innit. Yayy.. :thumbsup: :D :cheers:

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 16:16 #6 

JohnDotCom
Well I'll turn up at some after April next year then James, by the hot donut cabin.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 17:32 #7 

James.uk
Yayy John, that's my favourite spot too.. I love those mini doughnuts, made while you wait and always scrumptious.. I normaly take a bag home with me as well.. :) :thumbsup:

I have also noticed that a lil stream empties onto the beach close by, and that attracts loads of wild birds to the area, great place for ornifolagists- orfanolagits-- bird watchers innit.. :)

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 18:49 #8 

MrB
James

It does help when the seller does tell you a load of porkie pies. For instance I was told it had a complete new clutch fitted, I had to replace it over the October half term. It also passed it's MOT the day before I took delivery, yet had eaten a front tyre on one side 500 miles later??

So far I have spent probably £2k on it and the needed repairs just keep coming.

If it hadn't been for Russ, Andy Willi and several others, who have sold me parts, and done various work on the car for/with me that amount would have been much higher still.

I just wish I had taken a little more time to source the right 75, unfortunately finances meant I needed to sell my only asset quickly, my Civic, and this led to a hasty purchase.

I am happy I have a 75 again after a 4 year break, just wish I had bought a better looked after example. Especially when I think of what I could have got for the money this one has now cost me.

As for Colwyn Bay meets, I wanted to make the last one, but unfortunately was unable to at the last minute. Hoping I can make a future meet.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 01 Dec 2010, 10:10 #9