If you're gonna get it wrong.... by Zeb

Zeb
...might as well make a proper job of it..... :em:

Finally disassembled my 1.8 engine again yesterday....I now know why there was no compression at all.. :?

Timing was 180 degrees out resulting in ALL EIGHT inlet valves getting bent and stuck open... :gmc:

Mea culpa.....

me being somewhat hard of hearing hadn't heard anything untoward at all..... :roll:

On the plus side....I have established that the radiator and aircon condenser were U/S.....and this time around I was able to see the liners moving...so better to scrap her now than to have rebuilt, sold and for it to have lasted only 500 miles or so... :shock:

Still, in spite of it being a 1.8 and low spec she oozed quality...the old-style stitched boot floor cover, the leather handbrake and binnacle cover, the real walnut dash and all those little odds n sods they deleted / cheapened on later cars...I have a big pile of bits in me garage now...anybody need a reinforced oil rail.. as new.....

Never let it be said that Zeb won't admit to his mistakes.... :whump:

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 16:24 #1 

SpongeBob
Well, a bit of bad luck never hurt anyone - so long as you're next bit of luck is of the good variety. :whump:

Shame to hear that the engine is well and truly kaput, I know you've been working on that car for a some while now.

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 20:08 #2 

Zeb
SpongeBob wrote:Well, a bit of bad luck never hurt anyone - so long as you're next bit of luck is of the good variety. :whump:

Shame to hear that the engine is well and truly kaput, I know you've been working on that car for a some while now.

Ah see, there lies the rub...I SHOULD have devoted a lot more attention to it a lot earlier...but I didn't..
Sadly, it is not really an economical repair now...dunno whether the head is worth saving? The valves may be bent but the head itself is good...been kicking myself about it all day.... :roll:

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 20:37 #3 

JohnDotCom
Bad news and luck Carl.
A shame after all the time and effort put in.
Hope you can make the money back breaking it, many bits that should sell on there.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 21:24 #4 

Zeb
JohnDotCom wrote:Bad news and luck Carl.
A shame after all the time and effort put in.
Hope you can make the money back breaking it, many bits that should sell on there.

T'is a shame...but I had already realised the game was up a week or so back....yesterday just confirmed my decision was the right one....

I hope to get back what it owes me...and to help a few fellow owners in the process...

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 21:32 #5 

JohnDotCom
Just list what you have to offer to members whenever you want Zeb.
No limits etc here. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 22:04 #6 

MrB
We all mistakes Carl, it is learning from them that is important.

Hope that it all works out for you in the end.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 22:09 #7 

sworks
Really sorry to hear this Carl, whilst in bits is it not worth replacing the valves and resealing the liners?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:24 #8 

Zeb
sworks wrote:Really sorry to hear this Carl, whilst in bits is it not worth replacing the valves and resealing the liners?

Hi Sworks...a shame..especially given all your help and support with her.. :(

Unfortunately, with the various other bits that would need replacing....all disks and pads, radiator and condensor, three new tyres and sundry other bits n bobs it became uneconomic...not least becuase I haven't got the money to do it..!

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 21:29 #9 

James.uk
Sorry to hear about the car Zeb.. :(

Sometimes we just have to face hard facts, take a hit and move on.. Shame though, sounds as if you have put a lot of work in.. :roll:

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 23:55 #10