I need another car by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
OK, I don't really need one, but I'd like one!!

Since posting about the Rover 800 coupe recently ((here) I've been hankering after one - complete nonsense as I can't afford to buy one, let alone tax/MOT/insure it and have nowhere to keep it.... Nevertheless......

I've now been tempted by something else after seeing a thread on the Other Forum, basically this....

Rover P5 1962

This appeals to one of my slight mid-life crisis criteria, as it's almost exactly the same age as me. Also no tax, and insurance should surely be low. Having said that, where to keep it and possible BIG running costs if it were a shed do come to mind

Looks great though!

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 10:32 #1 

Tourerfogey
It's the 6 cylinder 3 litre model so cheaper to run than the V8 but probably just as expensive to maintain. Non original colour too - so I'd make sure exactly what's under the paint, i.e, metal , filler or rust . . .

Is cheap for what it is though.

TF

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 13:06 #2 

Dave
Tourerfogey wrote:so I'd make sure exactly what's under the paint, i.e, metal , filler or rust . . .

If someone else buys it, it'll be solid as a rock. If I buy it, it'll be mainly filler and rust....

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 14:33 #3 

JakeWilson

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 15:21 #4 

Dave
Nice looking car (apart from the interior issues! What's been eating the upholstery?!)

Got excited for a mo and I thought this was a Coupe! (maybe I could buy it and weld the back doors up?)

TBH, I like the leather interior of the Coupe more - and would be excited to have electric memory seats, as my 75 has no memory... (like a goldfish)

Please feel free to keep looking for me though!

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 16:49 #5 

Dave
Argh! This is driving me a bit nuts - I think I dreamt about it last night!

OK, so I think I've got storage sorted (my mum's neighbours have a double garage and live away for a large part of the year). Money - not good but I think I could sort a "family loan" to cover maybe £1500

After this it's running costs. As I'd never be driving two cars at once, things like fuel (as long as it's not too guzzly) and tyres etc shouldn't be an issue, as using fuel/wearing tyres on one car saves it on the other! :mrgreen: So it's down to the extra RFL/insurance and MOT bills. For the first two, a pre-73 car makes sense, but for the latter, a newer car wins

Narrowing down in my minds eye to:-

• Rover 800 Coupe
  • Rover P5
  • Rover P6 (Dad had four of these, one of which I learned to drive in)
  • Cheap MGF
  • MG ZT - if I can find a cheap one. Red would be good, but would love a yellow one!!
  • Land Rover/Range Rover/Big 4x4 on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas)
  • Something American with a big burbly engine, although for £1500, optimistic!
  • Anything made in 1962 which is not a shed or tiny

Am I mad?

Do I need counselling?

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 18:15 #6 

Zeb
Dave, get yourself some comprehensive insurance and you can hire the V8 off me once in a while for when your mid life crisis takes hold....it'll save you a fortune in garage rent, repair costs, tax costs etc.... ;)

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 19:01 #7 

Bernard
Dave wrote:Narrowing down in my minds eye to:-

• Rover 800 Coupe
  • Rover P5
  • Cheap MGF
  • MG ZT - if I can find a cheap one. Red would be good, but would love a yellow one!!
  • Land Rover/Range Rover/Big 4x4 on LPG

Am I mad?

Do I need counselling?

Well, I reckon you do if you can only get your short list down to such a variety. :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 19:04 #8 

Dave
Zeb wrote:Dave, get yourself some comprehensive insurance and you can hire the V8 off me once in a while for when your mid life crisis takes hold....it'll save you a fortune in garage rent, repair costs, tax costs etc.... ;)

:mrgreen:

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 22:18 #9 

Dave
Bernard wrote:
Dave wrote:Narrowing down in my minds eye to:-

• Rover 800 Coupe
  • Rover P5
  • Cheap MGF
  • Land Rover/Range Rover/Big 4x4 on LPG

Am I mad?

Do I need counselling?

Well, I reckon you do if you can only get your short list down to such a variety. :gmc:

OK, it's a long-list.....!

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 22:18 #10 

Dave
Just noticed that they've changed the ad for the P5

Good job I wasn't tempted to make the 150 mile trip to view - there are new photos and TBH, looks too much of a shed for me!!

Posted 11 Sep 2010, 10:47 #11