How To: Upgrade interior Lights by steven (Page 1 of 2)

steven
I decided to upgrade the interior lights today.. What a difference.

I was looking for something a little brighter than the existing 3w 501 bulbs and while I've tried 5w 501 bulbs I got a little worried about the amount of heat they generated. After a few seconds they were to hot to touch.

I thought I'd give LED (Light Emitting Diode)'s a go.

These are the ones I purchased.

I got them from a eBay seller called econnect4u and they cost £1.50 for 2 delivered from Hong Kong.

Here is what they look like before fitting

It's just a matter of prising off the light covers, removing the old bulbs and slotting in the new ones.
One thing to remember when installing them is they are polarity sensitive so if they don't work one way around try them the other.
I had to bend the little connectors on the bulbs ever so slightly to get a good contact but nothing to worry about.

Here is a side by side comparison

and here is the finished result

The lights look more directional when the cover is off but once the cover is on you get a proper diffused light and it looks fantastic.

Heat was an initial worry with teh standard bulbs.. with the LED ones you can tough them whilst they are on so this will be a problem.

One thing worth noting is you still get to see the fade in and fade out of the lights.

All in all about 5 mins work and well worth the effort
Does this look familiar?

Continuing to support the 75 community wherever they may be

Posted 09 Jun 2010, 19:54 #1 

MrB
Look really good.

You need 5 in total? Looks a quick, cheap and effective mod to me.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Jun 2010, 20:15 #2 

steven
MrB wrote:Look really good.

Yeah 5 are required. 3 for the front and 2 for the rear.

I purchased 8 in total so I'd have some spare for other projects..

They arrived within 5 days..
Does this look familiar?

Posted 09 Jun 2010, 21:11 #3 

Tazman3

Posted 09 Jun 2010, 21:15 #4 

steven
Tazman3 wrote:Linky to the page on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-4-SMD-LED-T10- ... 20b159086a

Martin

The reason I dod not put that in is they tend to get outdated quite fast whereas stating the type and seller is normally a better approach for a how to. At least in my opinion. :)
Does this look familiar?

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 12:50 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
steven wrote:

Martin

The reason I dod not put that in is they tend to get outdated quite fast whereas stating the type and seller is normally a better approach for a how to. At least in my opinion. :)

When I do the pdf conversions I knock out the links for that very reason.

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 15:20 #6 

Mad-Monkey
How do you find the lights at night? I did mine a while back and the white light against the blue interior looks a) very cold and b) quite dull. I prefer the warm light of the bulbs but saying that never swapped them back, they're still in my ashtray! :mrgreen:

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 15:28 #7 

Tazman3
steven wrote:

Martin

True....

Only trying to help some people less computer savvy who dont know how to search Ebay shops..

Martin :D

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 15:30 #8 

steven
Tazman3 wrote:
steven wrote:

Martin

True....

Only trying to help some people less computer savvy who dont know how to search Ebay shops..

Martin :D

I wasn't having a go...
Does this look familiar?

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 19:55 #9 

steven
Monk wrote:How do you find the lights at night? I did mine a while back and the white light against the blue interior looks a) very cold and b) quite dull. I prefer the warm light of the bulbs but saying that never swapped them back, they're still in my ashtray! :mrgreen:

I find them fine.. Yes they are colder but mine are not blue at all.

I think they look better and are more practical.
Does this look familiar?

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 19:56 #10 

Rammie
MrB wrote:Look really good.

On a Tourer you would need the 5 x 501's as stated plus 3 x festoon one's too. 1 for the load space light, 1 x for the light under the Spare Wheel cover & 1 for the glove box.

Although this could be seen as overkill so I have only done the 1st one myself. :roll:
Brian

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 20:14 #11 

JohnDotCom
The Blue LED's look very nice to. (must take some photos.)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:27 #12 

Mad-Monkey
steven wrote:
Monk wrote:How do you find the lights at night? I did mine a while back and the white light against the blue interior looks a) very cold and b) quite dull. I prefer the warm light of the bulbs but saying that never swapped them back, they're still in my ashtray! :mrgreen:

I find them fine.. Yes they are colder but mine are not blue at all.

I think they look better and are more practical.

Just looked, and mine are not as bright as yours. Might try upgrading the brightness see if I can loose the dullness!

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:29 #13 

Tazman3
steven wrote:

I wasn't having a go...

I realised that steven... :cheers:

Martin

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 22:19 #14 

James.uk
Sounds like a good practical mod. So what's the correct way to remove the light covers without damaging them. :em: :)

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 01:02 #15 

Rammie
James.uk wrote:Sounds like a good practical mod. So what's the correct way to remove the light covers without damaging them. :em: :)

Hi James, you can't sleep either, eh?

If you don't have a handbook they all come off with the aid of a small flat screwdriver to lever them off. Quite easy really, as long as you take care doing it. :cheers:
Brian

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 01:08 #16 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I've ordered some as well, even though I have a brighter set of standard bulbs, which are very bright. It's only a few bob and the pics of these installed look very nice.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 23:55 #17 

shy talk
I am one of the people who have prblems with E-bay, and computers for that matter. Thankyou for the link, I have just ordered four for my Rover75, thankyou once again. Shy Talk

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 11:56 #18 

Tazman3
shy talk wrote:I am one of the people who have prblems with E-bay, and computers for that matter. Thankyou for the link, I have just ordered four for my Rover75, thankyou once again. Shy Talk

Thats ok mate...

Martin

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 18:45 #19 

steven
I should never have done this Mod.

Since I've upgraded my lights I've taken a few people around in my car after dark. They have all commented on how nice teh lights are and how easy it is to see with them on.

I've now had to upgrade 2 Ford Focus's A renault Clio and aparently I'll be getting a few other cars to do now that the word is spreading :)

Lets hope the seller does not start charging more.. I've just ordered another 10 sets.
Does this look familiar?

Posted 20 Jun 2010, 08:28 #20