How to fix a HGF by rmdd

• Related topics: (no related topics)

rmdd
Hello,

My name is Ralph from Holland and I had a HGF (Head Gasket Failure) recently. Because it was very expensive to let it fixed at the garage I made an effort to do it myself.

I used the RAGE disk as a manual and everything seemed to work out fine. But I put the new MLS (Multi Layer Steel Gasket) gasket in the wrong way :shock: so I had to do the whole job over twice :confused:

All the things I renewed cost me about 655 GBP and four weeks long every day a few hours labour in a tent I build over the Mrs car. What I renewed were:

- total head gasket set, with new bolts, manifolds etc.
- timing belt
- AC and alternator belt
- steering pump belt
- heating shield alternator
- engine upper right support mount
- thermostat
- oil filter
- air filter
- oil and cooling fluid
- spark plugs
- radiator (mine was leaking)

I had to buy two special tools:

- the timing gear locking tool
- a fly wheel locking tool

Although I can tell you everything how I did it I think pictures say more then words. However feel free to ask me anything. Here is my experience: http://picasaweb.google.nl/102183597853 ... nprPDfgAE#

I know some of you did it also but maybe it is usefull for somebody who will give it a try. My dealer said that the total costs of what I repaired and renewed should have been more then 2.000 GBP if they had to do it :cheers:

Regards Ralph

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 23:04 #1 

Last edited by rmdd on 24 Aug 2010, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi Ralph
Very glad to hear it's back on the road. That's a helluva job and to have to do it twice.
I'm sure Monique is delighted to have her baby back. :)

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 00:09 #2 

starbug2
well done , that is a big job :panic: - beyond my level :panic: . glad it worked out in the end :thumbsup:

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 07:19 #3 

rmdd
Thanks, Mick and Starbug2,

Monique is indeed very pleased with her baby back (which by the way I gave a rebirth to in this case :lol: )

Anyway, this wasn't the whole story. We had to suffer a little more. After we had our hollidays and drove back from Spain to Holland we had a mailfunction at the slave cilinder of the clutch. During the intensive drive through hills and highway it began to leak. :o :shock: :hissyfit:

Fortunately it failed nearby Lloret de Mar in wich place our family has a beachbar. With a lot of help from them ( we were totally broke :hissyfit: ) and an Opel garage with very proffesional engineers, we could continue our way home. Four days delay but now the car is fine (knock on wood :? )

Here some piccies: http://picasaweb.google.nl/102183597853 ... linderR75#

Posted 25 Aug 2010, 16:31 #4 

kandyman
Hi Ralph,
Sound like you have been having lots of fun with the car, glad to hear it's all fixed and back on the road again.

Say hello to Monique from me and the girls.

Posted 25 Aug 2010, 16:39 #5 

rmdd
kandyman wrote:Hi Ralph,
Sound like you have been having lots of fun with the car, glad to hear it's all fixed and back on the road again.

Say hello to Monique from me and the girls.

Nice to hear from you Andy after such a long time. Greetings to your wife and daughter also. She must be grown up by now. Glad our friendship is timeless. Never mention Monique I had fun. I explained her that the repairs were almost impossible to handle myself. So the rewards were a lot better......... :D :mrgreen:

Posted 25 Aug 2010, 17:23 #6