How to Cut Sensor Holes in Rear Bumper? by carlpenn

carlpenn
Does anyone know of a good way to (Neatly) cut the Sensor Holes in the rear bumper of a Tourer without damageing the paint etc? I picked up a rear bumper today from an 02 Tourer but there appears to be no markings inside like some of the later models (from what I have read).

EDIT: I have found the markings, buried under the muck and not what I was expecting - very simplistic markings they are lol!!
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 21:08 #1 

Duncan
I used a small drill and 'chain drilled' close to the markings, then used a file to open up as far as the markings. Don't forget the little slots.

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 07:36 #2 

Mad-Monkey
Someone does have the proper cutter but I can't remember for the life of me who it is!!

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 09:13 #3 

Duncan
Does the proper cutter, also do the little slots for each sensor? It's so easy to do without, it's hardly worth it.

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 11:09 #4 

zojosc
When we fitted mine we used a Step Drill, the hole can then be made gradually bigger until a snug fit is obtained. The slots can then be made with a small file.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 12:03 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Duncan wrote:Does the proper cutter, also do the little slots for each sensor? It's so easy to do without, it's hardly worth it.

No you have to do them with a file or Dremel. I meant proper as in proper size as the size is not standard iirc :)

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 12:18 #6 

carlpenn
Monk wrote:
Duncan wrote:Does the proper cutter, also do the little slots for each sensor? It's so easy to do without, it's hardly worth it.

No you have to do them with a file or Dremel. I meant proper as in proper size as the size is not standard iirc :)

Are the Notches not marked on the Guidelines? I don't see any, but I got a lot of cleaning to do on theinside, looks like the Donor car was on a Rally course at some stage !!

If not, how do I know what order to put the Sensors in? :D
Upgrades:

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 14:28 #7 

Duncan
The notches are marked, or at least they were on mine. It's the holders that have to go in the right holes, the sensors are all the same.

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 15:06 #8 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:The notches are marked, or at least they were on mine. It's the holders that have to go in the right holes, the sensors are all the same.

Cheers Duncan :)

It's the holders that have to go in the right holes,

Thats what I meant :P Just my poor way of asking / explaining things :P
Upgrades:

Posted 27 Nov 2012, 19:59 #9