High Line Inoperative by MrB

MrB
Good afternoon all

I am shortly to take delivery of a Conn SE CDT with the High LIne SatNav fitted.

I have been advised that the SatNav is not working but all other sections of the ICE work fine.

How do I check what is causing the problem?

This car also has the 999,999 fault, so am guessing it has either had a new Alternator or similar in the past. Have read posts on various Forums and I am guessing the SatNav computer was not properly shut down? Can the computer be repaired? If I need to replace it, would I be better getting a Mk3 or 4 Unit?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 16:57 #1 

takestock
MrB wrote:Good afternoon all

I am shortly to take delivery of a Conn SE CDT with the High LIne SatNav fitted.

I have been advised that the SatNav is not working but all other sections of the ICE work fine.

How do I check what is causing the problem?

This car also has the 999,999 fault, so am guessing it has either had a new Alternator or similar in the past. Have read posts on various Forums and I am guessing the SatNav computer was not properly shut down? Can the computer be repaired? If I need to replace it, would I be better getting a Mk3 or 4 Unit?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris

hi Chris, welcome.

Mk4 are the best one ot get but it depends on your budget, mk3 work perfectly well with less functions.

The 999,999 fault is nothing to do with the satnav, quite possible the car has been jump started when battery was flat. there are people you can contact to hav e this rectified, where are you based? Is that Queensbury near Bradford?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:07 #2 

JohnDotCom
For replacement a MK3 unit should be sourced as a direct replacement to use the CD maps,
or a MK4 one for DVD discs and much more content such as Speed Cameras / 7 Digit Postcode search, Perspective mode etc.
The better MK3 units are the BMW rather than the MGR ones, as these can then be software upgraded for additional facilities.
Prices can be high so be careful, the MK4 is more in demand and does have a premium on it.

As to if your old one can be repaired, it does depend on the actual fault.
If a laser has packed up or carriage problem then yes but again not always cheap.
If it has suffered water damage, after a really good dry out and clean it will more than likely burst back into life.
Stick it in the airing cupboard or similar for a few days.

If the fault is due to incorrect shut down procedure then highly likely the unit is now a expensive decoration I'm afraid.
Some people do offer repairs but have also seen the prices charged which often mean cheaper to purchase a working used unit.

I myself do/did repair many of these but with current time constraints can no longer offer this service to members.
Hopefully will again in the future.

EDIT: Beaten by a much quicker Takestock. :D
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:11 #3 

MrB
takestock wrote:
hi Chris, welcome.

Mk4 are the best one ot get but it depends on your budget, mk3 work perfectly well with less functions.

The 999,999 fault is nothing to do with the satnav, quite possible the car has been jump started when battery was flat. there are people you can contact to hav e this rectified, where are you based? Is that Queensbury near Bradford?

Hi takestock

Yes it is Queensbury near Bradford.

Have seen several methods for sorting the 999,999. Seems some mileage correction firms say they can do it (£50), replace the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) with a brand new one and put it on T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) (£170) or is a guy reckons you can do it from the key (price unknown)? I want the genuine mileage showing, which would you recommend?

As for the SatNav I have TomTom on my PDA so am not so fussed, but if it's fitted I like it to work. Have been watching a few units on fleabay. Are the Range Rover bits as good as direct from BMW? Also been looking at a few BM24/54 radio units as have heard sound quality from High Line radio is not the best?

Wish I had been on forums when I had my last 75, I sold it due to a couple of minor niggles in 07 and was worried with Rover going to the wall parts would not be readily available etc. Needless to say I, and my family, have regretted it ever since. Had a short love affair with a Discovery TD5 ES, but then 25MPG and fuel prices going silly put an end to that and we splashed out on a nearly new Honda Civic 2.2 i-Ctdi. Fabulous design and engine let down by Honda unreliability, ironically bought as we wanted a reliable car.

Looking forward to 75 ownership again, even if, ironically it is going to start with me having to sort some minor niggles.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:46 #4 

richardwjackson
Slightly off topic but glad to see someone else had issues with a new Honda! My 2007 (brand new) CRV 2.2 CDTi EX was the worst and probably most unreliable car I have ever had!

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:58 #5 

MrB
JohnDotCom wrote:For replacement a MK3 unit should be sourced as a direct replacement to use the CD maps,
or a MK4 one for DVD discs and much more content such as Speed Cameras / 7 Digit Postcode search, Perspective mode etc.
The better MK3 units are the BMW rather than the MGR ones, as these can then be software upgraded for additional facilities.
Prices can be high so be careful, the MK4 is more in demand and does have a premium on it.

As to if your old one can be repaired, it does depend on the actual fault.
If a laser has packed up or carriage problem then yes but again not always cheap.
If it has suffered water damage, after a really good dry out and clean it will more than likely burst back into life.
Stick it in the airing cupboard or similar for a few days.

If the fault is due to incorrect shut down procedure then highly likely the unit is now a expensive decoration I'm afraid.
Some people do offer repairs but have also seen the prices charged which often mean cheaper to purchase a working used unit.

I myself do/did repair many of these but with current time constraints can no longer offer this service to members.
Hopefully will again in the future.

EDIT: Beaten by a much quicker Takestock. :D

JDC

Thanks for your reply.

So when I go to check out why it isn't working where should I start?

Thanks

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 16:13 #6 

JohnDotCom
Firstly check the two units in the boot floor well are dry and all leads connected up, the units are the TV Tuner and Graphics output, the other unit is the Radio and amplifier,
the head unit is a dumb unit and rarely gives faults.
The other main unit and the one most probably causing your problems is the Sat Nav Computer,
which you will find on R/H side of your boot.
There should be a light on it when operational, and before disconnecting the unit the light MUST be out or the unit is normally wrecked.
To check the unit is shutting down properly or when you wish to disconnect,
Turn off ignition, the light will be on on the front of unit,
without opening any doors or bonnet etc wait for this light to go out,
should take up top 30 seconds.
If you open any doors or anything electrical started it will reboot so check whatever you need open..is.
Once light out you can slide the unit out using Radio Release clips or similar,
there are two main plugs on the back (MK3) which have a retainer clip over them and the aerial lead from rear screen on a Saloon or roof on the top of a Tourer.
Check all plugs are fully located and locked in and aerial connection is on properly.
Have a good look for any water ingress onto unit or corroded pins or aerial fitting area.
If everything is fine and you are not getting GPS Navigation showing on your head unit options this SAT Nav Computer for some reason is faulty.
If damp follow earlier Instructions.
Also of course check to see if there is a disc in unit if not it should be indicated on head unit.
Substitution is the easiest test and someone at a Local Meet would sure to help you out.
If you are in the North Wales area or can get to it I will have a look for you.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:06 #7 

MrB
JohnDotCom wrote:Substitution is the easiest test and someone at a Local Meet would sure to help you out.
If you are in the North Wales area or can get to it I will have a look for you.

JDC

Thanks for your very kind offer.

Am in West Yorks, but am not averse to a trip to North Wales, had many a happy holiday there as a nipper.

Just want to pick it up now and get it here where I can start to work on it. Would have had it last Saturday, but it failed its MOT Friday. Broken Road Spring(s), which are being replaced so as I can take delivery with a full ticket on it.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:14 #8 

JohnDotCom
Post up if any further help required or PM for any visit arrangements.
John

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:23 #9 

MrB
Just a quick update re the 999,999 fault on the, soon to be mine, 75.

Won a Brand New IPK on fleabay for £80 incl postage this evening, bargain. Decided to go the belts and braces choice with regard to sorting the fault.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 08 Jun 2010, 20:04 #10 

kandyman
MrB wrote:Just a quick update re the 999,999 fault on the, soon to be mine, 75.

Won a Brand New IPK on fleabay for £80 incl postage this evening, bargain. Decided to go the belts and braces choice with regard to sorting the fault.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I cant see it mentioned above but the new IPK has to be fitted by the garage and will need a session on the T4, if you fit the IPK yourself and then drive it to the garage they wont be able to correctly program it and you'll be back to square one.

Posted 08 Jun 2010, 20:37 #11 

MrB
kandyman wrote:Hi Chris,

I cant see it mentioned above but the new IPK has to be fitted by the garage and will need a session on the T4, if you fit the IPK yourself and then drive it to the garage they wont be able to correctly program it and you'll be back to square one.

Kandyman

Cheers.

Already spoke with Russ on the other side about a week back and he can sort it for me. He told me to leave the old one in and just bring the new one with me.

He also said likes to do a full sweep of the system for faults and any options etc with the T4 before fitting the new one.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 08 Jun 2010, 20:47 #12 

JohnDotCom
No problem if Russ is doing it he will sort and install that no problem.
Top Man.
John

Posted 08 Jun 2010, 22:12 #13 

MrB
JohnDotCom wrote:No problem if Russ is doing it he will sort and install that no problem.
Top Man.

Cheers JDC

Yes, that was the impression I got from the forum, and then from a quick PM chat with him.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 09 Jun 2010, 08:04 #14