Here's an odd one by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I'm trying to find a small mains charger and docking station for an IPod which will provide some amplification but also has a headphone socket.

I've gone cross-eyed looking at all the examples available but nothing which confirms headphone socket as well.

I want to semi-permanently locate my IPod by my exercise treadmill and charge it while it is in use but the IPod audio isn't quite sufficient using its own headphone socket, to out-do the racket of me chugging along on the treadmill :lol:

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 12:11 #1 

Clifford
Have you had a look at Apple's own universal dock? It's got the dock connector and headphone jack/line out on the back and has it's own operational amplifier too.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC746B/A?fnode=5b3abcc454654c56a0e1d775d3d6376d3cdc0efb627d77fa1dd6745f93866fc31211214e33139bb80e1e43a438fd72ae275bef092dad352f4dc5bddea1935be0

Clifford.

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 15:05 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Clifford. That one doesn't seem to provide an amplified headphone output though - unless I read it wrong? Nonetheless, I appreciate you pointing it out to me mate :)
Paul

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 15:36 #3 

Clifford
It is amplified but probably not in the way you want to be fair, it's a line out that utilises the docks more powerful DAC as compared to the iPod.
Have you thought about making/buying a CMoy headphone amp and attaching it to one of these docks? I've made a few of them in the past and they're very easy to make and compact too, they can be mains or battery powered and only cost about £20 to make.

EDIT: I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Desktop-He ... B004M172FY FiiO have a pretty good rep with i device headphone amps, this one basically looks like it's a CMoy inside (especially with it having an OPA2134 op-amp, the chip itself costs about £4 lol!) but it might be a good ready built alternative and should certainly sound good if the CMoys I have built using that chip are anything to go by.

Hope this helps mate.

Clifford.

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 20:08 #4 

Last edited by Clifford on 16 Aug 2012, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
Actually Clifford, I only need a little more amplification than the IPod supplies so your suggestion might well be just right for me :) Certainly a lot cheaper than the alternative I found which is FIIO E9.
Paul

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 20:15 #5 

raistlin
I found one of the Apple items on fleabay for just over a fiver so worth a punt I think. If the audio isn't sufficient I can always add an amp :)
Paul

Posted 17 Aug 2012, 15:29 #6