HELP - ICE wiring guru required by MrB

MrB
OK so I have removed my multichanger and head unit - ready to go on eBay - unless anyone here wants to make me an offer??

Anyway I digress. I need some help regarding how the hell am I going to wire my new head unit in??

I have taken some pics of the wiring to help the process.

I have HK and High Line - I want to keep the use of the HK.

Back of the head unit
SG101172.JPG

Here is the wiring I have found
SG101171.JPG

Is this the BMW 17 pin I can get an ISO connector for?
SG101166.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:26 #1 

MrB
Continued..

Close up of what I think is the BMW plug
SG101170.JPG

Are these the wires for the steering wheel controls?
SG101169.JPG

What is this??? It was located behind the Head Unit and it's wiring is part of the same loom.
SG101167.JPG

EDIT - just done a quick google and found the part above is the unit that controls the buttons on the steering wheel - guess I better put it back in then :gmc:

Thanks in advance

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:30 #2 

Last edited by MrB on 23 Jul 2010, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

ceedy
Bear in mind I don't have the HK setup.. But I fairly sure from what I've read before you use a BMW to ISO adaptor as you say and just connect it up to the existing socket ( pic 3) . might need some adjustment to the HK ?

Some one else should be along to confirm this !

Chris

PS, the white box is the steering wheel interface.. you don't normally need this with the double diners
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:35 #3 

MrB
ceedy wrote:Bear in mind I don't have the HK setup.. But I fairly sure from what I've read before you use a BMW to ISO adaptor as you say and just connect it up to the existing socket ( pic 3) . might need some adjustment to the HK ?

Some one else should be along to confirm this !

Chris

PS, the white box is the steering wheel interface.. you don't normally need this with the double diners

Was hoping you'd be along Chris

On the back of my unit there is an extra slot marked TMC aerial - looks to be a standard vehicle aerial slot.

Seems to get TMC working I will need a separate aerial??

Having read around plugging theBMW to ISO will get me sound but not HK sound? :hissyfit:

How have you connected up the speaker wires? They come with standard plugs on the wires but obviously these aren't on any of the wiring in my 75. Do you just cut the plugs off and, if you do, are there then two wires? One for positive and one for negative?

Also do you think pic2 of the second post is the steering wheel control's wires?

Sorry to ask so many questions Chris but your unit will have exactly the same connectors as mine, it's my car that will be different.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:42 #4 

Duncan
OK.

A few answers.

The plug you ask about is indeed the BMW plug. However if you have the HK and just unplug you will lose it.

The grey box is the remote control interface. (by the way, if you are getting rid I'm looking for the bracket that holds it).

The connector you showed, is the ABS (Antilock Braking System) speed signal reverse signal and so on, not the steering interface.

back to how to wire your head unit: if you want to keep the amplifier, you will need to connect the speaker outputs from your head unit, to the amp. At the moment they come from the radio in the spare wheel well, so aren't at the front. I can work out the wiring and colours, but it's going to take a bit.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 20:19 #5 

MrB
Duncan wrote:OK.

A few answers.

The plug you ask about is indeed the BMW plug. However if you have the HK and just unplug you will lose it.

The grey box is the remote control interface. (by the way, if you are getting rid I'm looking for the bracket that holds it).

The connector you showed, is the ABS speed signal reverse signal and so on, not the steering interface.

back to how to wire your head unit: if you want to keep the amplifier, you will need to connect the speaker outputs from your head unit, to the amp. At the moment they come from the radio in the spare wheel well, so aren't at the front. I can work out the wiring and colours, but it's going to take a bit.

Duncan that would be a great help.

Ceedy reckons the box isn't needed to use the steering controls with the unit I have. Does that sound right? The instructions I got with the unit show a screen where you press one of the buttons and tell it what that button does. I believe these are known as learning systems?

If that is the case I won't need the interface and therefore won't need the bracket either. :D

So next question - if those wires are for reverse etc where are the steering wheel wires? Actually scratch that, they're obviously the ones that went to the connection block for the interface? So which wires from that do I connect to the 2 wires for steering controls on my head unit?

Last question Duncan - if I connect the unit via an adapter to the BMW plug will I have sound and power to the unit, but no HK?

If so I can at least get it fitted in time for my jollies and then work on getting HK sorted when I get back.

Thanks for all your help

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 20:26 #6 

Duncan
MrB wrote:
Duncan that would be a great help.

Ceedy reckons the box isn't needed to use the steering controls with the unit I have. Does that sound right? The instructions I got with the unit show a screen where you press one of the buttons and tell it what that button does. I believe these are known as learning systems?

Quite possible but I don't know as I've not had much experience of the kind of aftermarket system you are fitting

If that is the case I won't need the interface and therefore won't need the bracket either. :D

yes but to be fair to you at the very least the interface shoould be part of the kit you are selling. Ideally so should the harness, as it will devalue your kit if it doesn't have it. Depends what you are looking for for the bits, but PM me with an idea n=and I might use them as a backup for my car if bits fail (or for a test becnh I'm planning).

So next question - if those wires are for reverse etc where are the steering wheel wires? Actually scratch that, they're obviously the ones that went to the connection block for the interface? So which wires from that do I connect to the 2 wires for steering controls on my head unit?

yes but they are also in the BMW connector. I'll dig out the colours and get back to you.

Last question Duncan - if I connect the unit via an adapter to the BMW plug will I have sound and power to the unit, but no HK?

If so I can at least get it fitted in time for my jollies and then work on getting HK sorted when I get back.

Thanks for all your help

Chris

Yes, that's the easy way. The half of the connector with the sockets provides battery power, ignition, and the connection to the speakers in the four doors. The twisted black / colour pairs (four pairs, eight wires) are the speakers. LGW is accessory, PK is permanent, B is ground.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 20:41 #7 

ceedy
Just to confirm you do not need the interface for the steering controls .

in fact you only need 2 of the 3 wires coming out of the harness to the interface box.
the power wire is not needed as the unit just measures the various resisitors in the wheel switches
and assigns them as you see fit.

There isn't a harness as such to supply with the interface its all built in..

off to finish laquering ny fascia panels.. :thumbsup:

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 21:11 #8 

MrB
Thanks Chris and Duncan

Looks like it's going to be a bit of a removing the bits of loom I don't need and connecting in to the HK.

But so long as I can sound for now, I will be happy.

Once again thanks guys.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 21:29 #9 

Duncan
Just thought of something worth mentioning (it's also in the PMI sent).

One thing that is going to cause you a problem. The radio module on the hi line is in the spare wheel well. So the aerial lead runs from the rear window to the wheel well, not the front of the car. So there will be nothing to plug into the aerial socket of your new head unit.

An extension lead from wheel well to fascia, or a replacement antenna lead will solve the problem.

Posted 25 Jul 2010, 19:39 #10 

Merl
Just wondering how you got on with this? Was thinking of doing the same and after speaking to nick at austins half changed my mind as he said it was doable but with some fancy rewiring. Decided that fancy rewiring was not my strong point and if I went ahead either get nick to do it or find someone on here and pay beer tokens ;) either that or go back to original idea of bmw upgrade.
Martin

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 12:56 #11 

MrB
Due to my BMW to ISO conversion cable being lost in the post I haven't got any further with it.

At the moment I'll be content with just sound to be honest.

Then I'll look at getting the HK stuff working once I am happy I have my head unit working fully.

Will keep you posted how I get on as well though.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 16:00 #12