help !! i need an altenator by Dylan

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dylan
hi , i've got a Rover Connoisseur CDT SE that ticks instead of starting. its a 2002 .if anyone has one for sale could they let me know please..or any advice on saving the one that's on there..thanks

Posted 18 Nov 2014, 17:59 #1 

PaulT
If you mean that something ticks when you turn the key to start the car and the engine does not turn over then that is the started motor solenoid and not the alternator. However, is it due to a flat battery caused by the alternator not charging it? Howdo you know that it is a problem with the alternator?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Nov 2014, 08:27 #2 

Dylan
the battery warning light came on,, a message came up saying not receiving charge ,i was only a mile from home,so tried to get it home , then it cut out ,leaving me with a tick.(flat battery) charged the battery but the little light stayed on and when i rev the engine,the same message comes up,so i thought alternator.any advice would be welcome as i am new to the forum,not a mechanic but willing to learn,,cheers.

Posted 20 Nov 2014, 10:14 #3 

PaulT
You should find a secondhand one on eBay and possibly a new one, hopefully at far less than retail price.

Few years since I changed one on a diesel but if I remember correctly it drops out at the bottom but think it may have been the bracket for the a/c, might have been power steering that needed removing. But look at it as an opportunity to renew the belts.

On the basis that you do not really want to do it twice I would look for a new one - or have the existing one reconditioned by a reputable company.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 20 Nov 2014, 14:52 #4 

Duncan
On the diesels they do seem prone to failure so I'd go for new or reconditioned as its not a five minute job to replace. Rimmerbros had them at a good price when I needed one a couple of years ago.

Posted 20 Nov 2014, 17:16 #5