Hello to everyone by Charlie74UK

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Charlie74UK
Hi guys, yet another newbie to the fold, having had several rovers over the years starting with allegro's ( i know ), when the wife needed a cheap comfortable diesel auto with decent fuel economy, the 75 seemed the logical choice, so to the bay of e i went, duly found and bought, what turned out to be a rather neglected,above average mileage, grey lump, for £600 and 6 mths mot whats not to like, i mean its only a temp car right...
seems the wifey likes it, its "pretty", its comfortable,and " it goes well" ( which translates to the odd phone call saying she thinks she might have been caught)
So.. when a temp car goes from being temp to actually i like it, its time to get the shopping list done,
so new tyres all round the rears were below the limit... ( 200 miles from mot my ar##)
that one job alone nearly made me give up.. 4 hours.. FOUR HOURS to get the bolts out, it beat every airgun they had, even their "this never fails" snap on jobbie, ended up having to take it round to another garage which welded on nuts to the locking ones and used a HGV airgun on em..
next was the knock on the front suspension, new shocker and top mount later, all quiet
as of yesterday it had a new JVC headunit with bluetooth ( wife loves the colour changing lights) trade off was losing the steering wheel controls as my account was begging for mercy at this point, will add the connectors later on. oh and removed the dead parrot handfree kit, and yes many monty python jokes were had.
checked that the plenum drains were clear, new wiperblades and a hour or two scrubbing the hell out of the interior, last owner was a big bloke who used it as a company car to travel the uk.. lets say i covered the steering wheel in 6 babywipes and went for a brew, and it still needed wiping over 3-4 times to be deemed "clean".. and thats the story so far..
Next to do is the inline thermostat mod, but not sure if needed as it does heat up fine, just take a bit because .. deisel.. will wait and see how it does when winter bites
only major niggle left is the notorious handbreak, being an auto its not an issue till the mot comes round,but needs sorting,
then after that its the boot opening, atm its a 2 man job, as it doesnt "pop" up, so just bangs when you press the button unless someone is there to open it, will figure that out when i can be bothered ( she hardly uses it)

So many thanks to those that got this far, and i look forward to badgering you with innate questions for the next few months
Charlie

Posted 09 Oct 2017, 12:27 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Charlie.
The boot problem will be the little rubber stops at each end of the boot, you need to turn them in or out, this will stop the tommy gun effect you are classing as banging, handbrake I can sort you out with the modified one, once it is fitted you can forget it as it will not stretch again. to check the thermostat is coming up to temp, use the OBC (On Board Computer) which is 19 then 7 it will give you the correct temperature of the engine, you need to run the car with the on board computer running for at least 10 miles sometimes maybe going up an hill, this will make the engine work harder and give you a better reading, you are looking for 87-89 degrees, if it is 77-83 then it is worth doing the inline stat.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Oct 2017, 12:50 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi Charlie, glad to have you in the Community.

Posted 09 Oct 2017, 13:01 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Charlie.
I have replied to your email, we have a meet this weekend coming up you are more than welcome to attend link below for you.
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/venues.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Oct 2017, 13:09 #4 

Charlie74UK
Thanks for the welcome, and i will have a look at the rubber stoppers, tbh i didnt see them when i had a quick look, that might be the problem,hehe.
will have a word with the wife and see if she has any plans for this weekend, thank you

Posted 09 Oct 2017, 16:00 #5