heated washer jets query by akaangus

akaangus
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has fitted the heated washer jets? I did it ages ago and never noticed any difference, I decided to revisit the other day and thought that I might have needed to add another fuse but that's not the case! so with winter on it's merry way any advise would be appreciated

Posted 28 Sep 2013, 08:12 #1 

Trebor
First of all and just in case you werent aware, it is only the actual jets that are heated so if you dont use a mix of screenwash that doesnt freeze up then they will be next to useless.

Usually on a cold morning you can see a small area around the jets on the bonnett to indicate that they are working

Assuming that you knew the above have checked the fuse and they still arent working, have you checked the wiring in the wing under the wheel arch liner ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 29 Sep 2013, 22:00 #2 

akaangus
ok, I didn't know that it was just the jets that were heated so I'll check on that when a cold morning comes, i'm sure that won't be too long!, thanks for the info.

Posted 30 Sep 2013, 09:03 #3 

Duncan
Rob is dead right. You still need plenty of washer fluid with antifreeze. The reason heated jets are still needed is the bit of washer fluid in the end tends to have the antifreeze bit evaporate, so the heating keeps that bit clear for longer.

The fuse is also used for heated mirrors so is there anyway.

Posted 08 Oct 2013, 19:59 #4 

paul d
Fitted some on the 75 a while ago then extended the washer pipe & fixed it to a heated pipe so the theory is the fluid shouldn't freeze or, thaw out quicker (i'm sure many years ago you could get a device that fitted into the heater pipe & washer pie so the fluid was kept hot). If the fluid in the washer bottle freezes we're in the Doo Doo.

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 11:02 #5 

Duncan
You are right, Paul. Someone, Trico I think, sold a system that used coolant hoses to heat the washer fluid pipes.

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 13:09 #6 

Bermudan 75
I just use Halford's gallon container of advanced ready mixed screen wash all year round. Never had a problem even during that bad winter of 2009/2010.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 13:17 #7 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:You are right, Paul. Someone, Trico I think, sold a system that used coolant hoses to heat the washer fluid pipes.

I had one on my Renault 5 Gordini. It was a blue plastic heat exchanger about 5" long and about 3" in diameter. You cut a coolant pipe, slice about 5" out and re-fit the ends over the heat exchanger centre stubs. Then cut the screenwash tube and connect it to the smaller stubs.

Odd thing is, for such a Heath Robinson affair, it worked a treat if you gave the coolant time to warm up. It must have been a pretty efficient heat exchanger.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 14:19 #8 

paul d
That sounds just like the thing i remember Paul. Did work suprisingly well from what i recall.

It was this thing that gave me the idea of running the washer tubing along a heated pipe. Hopefully it will give a similar effect.

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 14:28 #9 

Duncan
Even better if you use the coolant pipes out of the FBH (Fuel burning heater.)!

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 15:06 #10 

paul d
Duncan wrote:Even better if you use the coolant pipes out of the FBH!

Brilliant idea Duncan. Will have to get some more washer pipe then.

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 15:56 #11