Headlight Wobble by Justin

Justin
Ages ago i hit a pigeon with the passinger side headlight and ever since the headlight lense will move if you push it and the beam adjustment will not work. I'm going to take the front bumper off next weekend to look at the fan and was wondering what I should be looking for, im guessing there is an arm that adjusts the height which may have been damaged? Car is a Mk 1.

Damm bird - 1000's of acres of field around and they have to sit in the road!

Justin

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 12:51 #1 

Mad-Monkey
The units are self contained, so if it moves then it may have broken a fixing which could possibly be repaired.

I'm not sure why the level adjustment doesn't work, may have caused a broken cable, damaged something internally or a loose connection. Hopefully someone else can advise.

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 13:57 #2 

Justin
Thanks!

Justin

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 07:27 #3 

JakeWilson
My 2004 failed it's MOT on this.

upon dismantling we found that the plastic wheels that adjust the lights inside the units had become detached from the metal shafts, that were just spinning,fixed them back to the shafts and they are fine!

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 15:53 #4 

Justin
Thanks Jake, will take a look at the weekend when the bumper is off!

Justin

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 14:27 #5 

JakeWilson
Justin wrote:Thanks Jake, will take a look at the weekend when the bumper is off!

Justin

No probs - keep us posted!

Jake

Posted 30 Jul 2010, 11:04 #6 

Justin
Update....

Had the front of the car of this weekend to fit the new 2 speed fan so I took the opportunity to have a look at the headlight problem.

The height adjustment motors not working was caused by the driver side loom chaffing on the body (the wire was virtually cut through) - resoldered and repositioned the loom and the motors worked.

Took the offending highlight unit out and the arm of the adjuster had come out of it ball socket - some time and brute force later and it was popped back in again.

The only thing now is that the lights point quite low dowm on setting 0 so I just need to use the manual adjustment to set them correctly.

Justin

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 09:04 #7