Headlight repairs by PaulT

PaulT
Seem to have a problem with the wiring to the sidelight on my O/S unit (facelift). Can these be dismantled (opened up) so that I can sort out the wiring?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Apr 2014, 19:14 #1 

raistlin
It might be the loom chafing against the chassis member under the headlamp unit Paul
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Apr 2014, 20:40 #2 

PaulT
Thanks Paul will check that but think it might be inside the unit because at one point I could jiggle the actual sidelight holder and bulb and it came back on a couple of times, i.e. the loom was not manipulated.
Paul

Posted 12 Apr 2014, 20:43 #3 

raistlin
There isn't any internal wiring to the sidelight Paul. IIRC, the lamp is a push fit with the bulb plugged directly into the connector
Paul

Posted 12 Apr 2014, 21:05 #4 

PaulT
Paul the bulb is in a holder and two wires from it run to the block that forms part of the headlamp assembly that the external wiring loom connects to and it is when I have wiggled the two wires running to the internal block that the light has come on again.
Paul

Posted 13 Apr 2014, 08:21 #5 

PaulT
As a little PS it may be a wire chaffing which is fine but in case it is inside the unit wanted to find out if it can be dismantled or do I need to buy another unit in case it is internal before I start the job.
Paul

Posted 13 Apr 2014, 08:23 #6 

raistlin
OK Paul,

I think either mine must be different or my mind is playing tricks :( As far as dismantling goes, I have no idea :(
Paul

Posted 13 Apr 2014, 08:33 #7 

raistlin
Just been out and checked mine Paul. They are exactly the same as yours so I really don't know what I was thinking of. I blame the Tramadol. Sorry mate :(
Paul

Posted 13 Apr 2014, 08:52 #8 

PaulT
Finally got around to tackling this and my apologies Paul you were right - wire chaffing to such an extent that it has worn completely though the wire (when I jiggled the actual bulb holder it must have microscopically moved the loom). There is also another wire that the insulation has gone and holding on by a few threads - have not checked but could be levelling.

Shall reposition so they do not cross the chassis rail - a wonderful piece of design!!!! Interesting that the n/s route does not take the wiring across the rail.
Paul

Posted 19 Apr 2014, 11:26 #9 

raistlin
Paul, no apology required mate :)

What you might consider doing is getting a length of mains cable and cutting a continuous slot along the length of the outer covering. Then, when you remove the inner cores, the outer sheath fits nicely over the sharp chassis rail to act as a buffer. Historically, Rover fitted a protector but only on the one side.
Paul

Posted 19 Apr 2014, 13:04 #10