Headlight Lens Crackle Effect by Dallas

Dallas
Does anyone have the misty headlight lens problem, both mine are suffering a slight crackle effect (sort of a misty spiderweb crackle look in places).

Can the whole Headlight units still be purchased new, or how about just the lens (can the light units come apart to fit a new lens).

Cheers guys! :-D

Posted 07 May 2011, 22:30 #1 

Duncan
You can't dissasemble the lamp to replace the reflector. The effect you are seeing is the metal surface delaminating from the plastic backing.

You can probably replace them new but it won't be cheap, I haven't priced them. I had one get a problem because one of the two rubber caps on it was missing. I bought a replacement from fleabay and it's fine. A breakers is obviously less risky as you can inspect the lamps first, but there should be plenty of good ones out there.

Posted 08 May 2011, 08:57 #2 

Bernard
I successfully polished my misty headlamp lenses with a dedicated lens polish. It was easier than I expected by hand, I was almost certain that it would need a machine to do it.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 08 May 2011, 09:01 #3 

Duncan
Oh, that's surprising. How did you get at the lense? I thought they were glued to the body. They seemed to be when I looked at my duff one.

Oh, hang on a minute! We're talking lenses, not reflectors.

Doh, sorry, forget everything I've said!

Posted 08 May 2011, 09:04 #4