Headlight adjustment by raistlin

raistlin
With the advent of the darker mornings / evenings, I've been using headlights more often and I'm thinking that they are pointing low.

That is to say both sides and both headlight and main beam.

Does anybody know if there is an overall beam height setter for cars with auto-levelling headlights please?

I must admit that I'm also at a loss to understand why they suddenly seem to be uniformly low?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 16:08 #1 

Duncan
Yes, the lights can still be adjusted. One for each lamp. You can adjust them for height and for want of a better expression, yaw.

The correct setting is marked somewhere on the lamp or slam panel.

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 16:55 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Duncan. Can it be done without a beam-setter?
Paul

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 18:38 #3 

Duncan
You can do the vertical setting without a setter. But you need a bit of maths.

The setting information shown on the lamps or label, is a percentage. I think the value might be 1.3% but the principal is the same if the number is wrong. It works like this: the beam descends by 1.3%. So measure the height of the beam cutoff a distance from the lamp. Measure it again 1 metre further away, and it should be 1.3% that is 13mm lower. Obviously that's a small amount so double the distance and double the drop, and so on. Don't start too close or the pattern isn't clear.

It doesn't matter which point of the beam you choose (though dipped gives you a cutoff that you can see clearly) so long as you use the same for each measurement.

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 20:24 #4 

raistlin
Thanks Duncan
Paul

Posted 25 Oct 2013, 20:35 #5