Headlamp Scratches by Jürgen

Jürgen
Just one moment of distraction and I've used a sponge not appropriate for the plastic cover of the headlamps. Now there are tiny scratches all over. :-?
Is there a way to get rid of them or at least cover them a bit? (Other than buying a new headlamp assembly of course ... :lol:)

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 13:36 #1 

Dave
I'm sure I've read that toothpaste is good for this, but don't take my word for - wait for someone who's actually tried it to tell you it works before having a go!

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 14:41 #2 

RhodieBill
I'm sorry, I cannot see how a sponge will scratch your headlights and not scratch your paint? That perspex headlight lens is just as hard as the clearcoat on your paintwork! In actual fact I cannot see a sponge scratching either, unless there are contaminants, (ie. sand/grit) in the sponge....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 14:52 #3 

Jürgen
The paint wasn't scratched, because all I did was cleaning just the headlamps. I've always used some special kind of kitchen sponge to get rid of the flies, but this time I grabbed the wrong one. Could be an expensive mistake. :(

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 17:39 #4 

PaulT
Anything that is polished starts off dull and the surface then has all imperfections etc removed by using finer and finer abrasives.

So you just need the correct abbrasives and a lot of elbow grease. In the UK there is a 'polish' called Brasso for cleaning brass etc there must be a German equivalent.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 18:37 #5 

RhodieBill
Jürgen wrote:The paint wasn't scratched, because all I did was cleaning just the headlamps. I've always used some special kind of kitchen sponge to get rid of the flies, but this time I grabbed the wrong one. Could be an expensive mistake. :(

Ah, sorry. I now understand what you did.....

You could try this, or something similar to restore the finish.... http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2639-3m-hea ... fAodNkoLMw
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 19:45 #6 

Jürgen
Thank you very much! Looks like this 3M kit is worth a try.

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 22:04 #7 

RhodieBill
All I can say is, is that I have had a lot of dealings with 3M over the years, many on a professional level, and I found them top notch! And even now I find their 3M Qwik-Wax very, very good, if not the best.......
Regards, Bill

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 10:36 #8 

Jürgen
I haven't seen bad quality by 3M either. Let's see whether I can get hold of this stuff somewhere over here. Else I'll order when I'll be in the UK again some day, as it isn't urgent.

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 10:50 #9 

RhodieBill
I'm sure they will deliver to the EU....
Regards, Bill

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 11:01 #10 

1gp
Also you can flat with 2000 grade, or 1500 grade flatting paper, and then compound up , using 3m green top compound, or G3.

Posted 17 Nov 2012, 20:21 #11 

Jürgen
Well, I found a company nearby which are preparing cars and restoring classic vehicles. They offered a good deal. So all I did myself has been removing and refitting the headlights. :)

Posted 17 Nov 2012, 20:39 #12 

1gp
Jürgen wrote:Well, I found a company nearby which are preparing cars and restoring classic vehicles. They offered a good deal. So all I did myself has been removing and refitting the headlights. :)

They will do what i have said... about half hours work. :)

Posted 18 Nov 2012, 09:31 #13 

raistlin
Jürgen wrote: Let's see whether I can get hold of this stuff somewhere over here. Else I'll order when I'll be in the UK again some day, as it isn't urgent.

Jürgen, if you can't find it locally and you can't get a UK company to export, I'm happy to buy and export it for you.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Nov 2012, 10:03 #14 

Jürgen
Most appreciated, Paul. But for now I hope that I won't have to use it (again). The headlamps are like new now.

Posted 18 Nov 2012, 11:49 #15