Head Unit & Computer reverting to French by Samarkand

Samarkand
As some of you know, I'm away from France and return few days every 2-3 months... Each time the car battery is flat and have to start the car by cables connected to someone else's battery. The car goes fine afterwards. This time she's developed something different: I usually keep the computer and head unit language to English. Since the car is for the French market, the default language is French. The other available language is German.
Well, after starting the car, I set the language again to English and drove off. The battery seemed to pick up energy quite well (after a 60 km drive) and starts well each time. The problem is that whenever I start the engine, the computer and head unit go back to French. On the first and second steps of the contact the display is in English. When I start the engine, the whole thing goes back to French and I have to set it to English again... On previous times, the computer and head unit had reverted to French and I set them to English and they would stay so after.
It's not a big deal for me now as I'm staying for few more days but I'm very picky about her :)
The head unit is the top one with Sat/Nav and TV by the way.
Any help or suggestion appreciated with thanks in advance :)
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 05:01 #1 

SpongeBob
Well, first thoughts Majed are that there could be a loose connection to the Nav Computer which is meaning there isn't sufficient live feed to keep the settings in memory. Also check to see if the unit powers down correctly after a period of inactivity - the little LED (Light Emitting Diode) on the nav computer should extinguish after a period of inactivity.

The other option might be that when starting the car the battery can only provide enough power to start the engine and all other systems suffer, e.g. loosing settings on the nav computer. This could be the case if the battery is not in top condition any more having not been in regular use. The only solution to this would be some sort of trickle-charger when the car is parked up whilst you're away.

Posted 27 Jul 2010, 09:00 #2 

Mintman

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 14:09 #3 

Samarkand
Thanks both for your replies. Sorry in my delay in replying back.
Actually, there is no loose connections at the battery (only place I checked) and I don't know where to look for the head unit connection :em: However, I noticed that it was the second theory that you gave me. Yessterday, the car kept the English language setting - and I started the engine at least 4 or 5 times as I was doing some choirs (let's hope today she does as I have not used her yesterday).
As for Mintman's suggestion, it's a brilliant idea, but the car is kept in a box in an underground parking (with no lighting...)
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 07:42 #4 

Mintman
Hi Majed

If you got an electric plug in your"Black Box" :lol this one or similar:
http://www.accumate.com/compact/

Cheers Frank

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 19:37 #5 

Samarkand
Mintman wrote:Hi Majed

If you got an electric plug in your"Black Box" :lol this one or similar: