Handbrake vs MOT by Dallas

Dallas
Just got back from the MOT station! She only failed on the handbrake (excessive travel) not bad for 11 years young. :thumbsup:

Left her with the garage to get a pass, so who knows how they will repair the handbrake (there was talk of might need new caliper's) is that something of the norm or is there a simple adjustment to be done.

Cheers guys for any help! :-D

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:40 #1 

raistlin
I'd expect a simple cable adjustment would suffice :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:51 #2 

Zeb
Doubtful! The handbrake does not operate via the calipers!

All she will need, assuming the drums / pads are ok, is a 10-20mm spacer behind the adjusting nut at the hand brake lever. To take up the slack from the cables...which of course don't stretch...much..:D

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:52 #3 

Last edited by Zeb on 12 May 2011, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Calipers are nothing to do with the handbrake. The handbrake shoes are adjusted using a wheel adjuster accessible through the rear hub. Alternatively the cable can be adjusted from within the car at the handle end.

Cable adjust:- hand-brake-tensioner-assembly-adjust.html
Shoe adjustment:- handbrake-how-do-i-adjust-it-correctly-t1542.html#p13356

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:54 #4 

Dallas
Thanks for the help fellas :thumbsup: I knew it would be easier to bring it home and do it myself on a weekend, but the garage's have you over a barrel these days don't they. :hissyfit:

Might just give the garage a ring as not so sure they know 75's :-o I have taken it to Halfords Auto Center as they were the ones to do the oil leak last year (rear camshaft cap) AA recommendation etc. The auto center were very good :-D no problems at all, so thought lets go back.

P.S
Oh! Yes! Disc's and pads are in great shape! thanks Zeb.

Posted 12 May 2011, 12:09 #5 

PaulT
If I were you I would give them a ring - saves the arguement after they have done the work and try billing you for those new calipers
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 May 2011, 12:59 #6 

Dallas
Well! its bad news but not that bad...... :hissyfit:

They've got the wheels off and the problem they have found!!!!! the handbrake drum is excessively corroded and seized (basically needs replacing).

So that two new rear disc's needed and the cost with labor and including the MOT price is £230.00................ flipping ek!

I must of missed this when I fitted the new wheels last weekend. :rolling:

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:24 #7 

Dallas
P.S anybody have a photo of the rear handbrake drum and the rear disc they can kindly post up ?

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:32 #8 

Zeb
Arctic has some on a thread on here....sorry about your drums...mine were the same...disks fine, drums a mess...I got replacements for £13.99....To fit two rear disks and adjust handbrakes...£180? Hmmm...disks I s'pose are about £60 usually.....so £120 for two hours (max) labour? Nice work if you can get it...

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:37 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
This Know How has the drum brake details. rear-wheel-bearing.html

Posted 12 May 2011, 18:22 #10 

Dallas
Thanks Mick! thats a good 'How Too' :thumbsup:

Picked her up earlier with new MOT and nice shiny new disc's, Pads and Brake-Pad Sensor.

Handbrake now pulls up with 2 clicks even the foot braking is more improved (nearly head-butted the windscreen on way home) The stopping was great before and now its even better............... :thumbsup:

Top guys at Halfords! seemed to have done a real good job, my only gripe is that I have just noticed on the invoice that they have actually charged me full price £54.85 for the MOT, it should be half price (so will be sorting that one out in the morning with a friendly call) otherwise EXCELLENT!

Thanks for all the replies today fellas, very helpful indeed. :cheers:

DSCI14071024x768.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 12 May 2011, 19:13 #11 

Dallas
Can anybody tell me why I have just one Brake Pad sensor fitted, this is on the Driver-side rear (not one present on the passenger-side) no cable but just the slot opening in the caliper and pad.

Posted 12 May 2011, 21:23 #12 

Duncan
The theory is both sides wear at the same rate, so you only need one front, one rear.

Posted 12 May 2011, 21:26 #13 

Dallas
Yep! that would make sense..... :thumbsup:

Posted 12 May 2011, 21:32 #14 

takestock
Mick wrote:This Know How has the drum brake details. rear-wheel-bearing.html

I will be using this shortly, just received my new rear discs, pads and shoes, going by the fun and games I have had in the past with the hand brake i is not looking forward to it :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 May 2011, 16:24 #15