Groucho Marx by PaulT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PaulT
Marx, Groucho (Julius Marx; 1895-1977) US comedian and film actor; the member of the Marx brothers team who specialized in wisecracks. Their films included Monkey Business (1931), Horse Feathers (1932), A Night at the Opera (1935), and A Night in Casablanca (1945).

1 You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, which doesn't say much for you.
Animal Crackers

2 One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Animal Crackers

3 What's a thousand dollars? Mere chicken feed. A poultry matter.
The Cocoanuts

4 Your eyes shine like the pants of my blue serge suit.
The Cocoanuts

5 Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
A Day at the Races

6 A child of five would understand this. Send somebody to fetch a child of five.
Duck Soup

7 My husband is dead. - I'll bet he's just using that as an excuse. I was with him to the end. - No wonder he passed away. I held him in my arms and kissed him. - So it was murder!
Duck Soup

8 Go, and never darken my towels again!
Duck Soup

9 Remember, men, we're fighting for this woman's honour; which is probably more than she ever did.
Duck Soup

10 There's a man outside with a big black moustache. - Tell him I've got one.
Horse Feathers

11 You're a disgrace to our family name of Wagstaff, if such a thing is possible.
Horse Feathers

12 You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I bet he was glad to get rid of it.
Horse Feathers

13 Look at me: I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Monkey Business

14 I want to register a complaint. Do you know who sneaked into my room at three o'clock this morning?... - Who?... Nobody, and that's my complaint.
Monkey Business

15 Do you suppose I could buy back my introduction to you?
Monkey Business

16 Sir, you have the advantage of me. - Not yet I haven't, but wait till I get you outside.
Monkey Business

17 Do they allow tipping on the boat? - Yes, sir. Have you got two fives? - Oh, yes, sir. Then you won't need the ten cents I was going to give you.
A Night at the Opera

18 The strains of Verdi will come back to you tonight, and Mrs Claypool's cheque will come back to you in the morning.
A Night at the Opera

19 Send two dozen roses to Room 424 and put `Emily, I love you' on the back of the bill.
A Night in Casablanca

20 I never forget a face, but I'll make an exception in your case.
The Guardian , 18 June 1965

21 I was so long writing my review that I never got around to reading the book.
Attrib.

22 Time wounds all heels.
Attrib.

23 Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Resigning from the Friar's Club in Hollywood
Attrib.

24 No, Groucho is not my real name. I'm breaking it in for a friend.
Attrib.

25 Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
Attrib.

26 A man is only as old as the woman he feels.
Attrib.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 12:24 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
My favourite Groucho quote.
23 Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 14:14 #2 

ems ltd
My favourite Groucho quote is...

on receiving a bill in a restaurant he passes to a fellow diner and says "I wouldn't pay that if I was you".

Another Groucho quote:
I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 16:58 #3 

Samarkand
Wisecracks you say!
My preferred are 5 and 6 :D
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 17:19 #4