Gliptone ineffective? by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
I was talking to a colleague today about the apparent lack of leather scent in my car although I use Gliptone conditioner regularly.

He suggested that maybe the 75 leather seats were in fact "sealed" leather. Apparently this sort of leather is impervious to conditioners etc.

Does anybody have a definitive answer please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 16:13 #1 

Bermudan 75
My recently acquired embossed headrests were cleaned up with Gliptone and the nice smell of leather permeated throughout the car for about two weeks.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 16:45 #2 

SpongeBob
Don't want to sound patronising but was this his nose or yours doing the investigation? I ask because could the 'nose' in use be accustomed to the smell and therefore not notice the difference? I must admit though my car also does not seem to smell of leather yet other people say it does :confused:

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 11:43 #3 

James.uk
Someone copy/pasted quite a lengthy piece on this subject a while back when the best cleaning preservation was being discussed. I think our cars are "sealed" ....

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 13:59 #4 

raistlin
SpongeBob wrote:Don't want to sound patronising but was this his nose or yours doing the investigation? I ask because could the 'nose' in use be accustomed to the smell and therefore not notice the difference? I must admit though my car also does not seem to smell of leather yet other people say it does :confused:

Tis my nose Simon :lol: I was comparing the scent upon opening the car door to the scent when opening the car door of a colleague's MkII Jaguar.

I've just fitted one of those under seat gliptone air freshener things and that is definitely pongy ;)
Paul

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 14:43 #5 

raistlin
James.uk wrote:Someone copy/pasted quite a lengthy piece on this subject a while back when the best cleaning preservation was being discussed. I think our cars are "sealed" ....

Thanks James, I'll have a look for it :)
Paul

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 14:44 #6 

Bernard
raistlin wrote:I was talking to a colleague today about the apparent lack of leather scent in my car although I use Gliptone conditioner regularly.

He suggested that maybe the 75 leather seats were in fact "sealed" leather. Apparently this sort of leather is impervious to conditioners etc.

Does anybody have a definitive answer please?

No definitive answer but I've noticed that Gliptone doesn't smell as it used to in our car.
I wonder if the stuff ages in the bottle? I have had it for some time and it used to impart a strong leather smell.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 15:28 #7 

raistlin
I've just bought a new bottle so should be OK :)
Paul

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 15:46 #8 

James.uk
Maybe if you parked your car in a cow shed for a few days? :gmc:

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 15:59 #9 

raistlin
James.uk wrote:Maybe if you parked your car in a cow shed for a few days? :gmc:

Not absolutely my first choice in scent James ;)
Paul

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 16:13 #10 

Bermudan 75
Found a website with following info

Gliptone GT12 Leather Cleaner
Gliptone GT11 Leather Conditioner

Both are suitable for sealed leather.

Hope this clarifies this matter.

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 16:52 #11 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:
James.uk wrote:Someone copy/pasted quite a lengthy piece on this subject a while back when the best cleaning preservation was being discussed. I think our cars are "sealed" ....

Thanks James, I'll have a look for it :)

Hi Paul,

Did you find the post that James mentioned? I went into my local Halfrauds and could find any Gliptone.

Regards

Mike

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 09:47 #12 

raistlin
I'm not sure that Halfrauds stocks Gliptone Mike.

I always buy mine direct from them online.
Paul

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 09:53 #13 

empsburna
Probably late to the party, but most cleaners/conditioners aren't going to get anywhere the leather (because as has been mentioned) they are coated.

All they need is a wipe down with a damp microfibre. Anything more than that use a damp and warm microfibre.

Posted 17 Oct 2010, 16:38 #14 

raistlin
empsburna wrote:Probably late to the party, but most cleaners/conditioners aren't going to get anywhere the leather (because as has been mentioned) they are coated.

All they need is a wipe down with a damp microfibre. Anything more than that use a damp and warm microfibre.

So Gliptone conditioner is a waste of time then?
Paul

Posted 17 Oct 2010, 18:47 #15 

empsburna
raistlin wrote:
empsburna wrote:Probably late to the party, but most cleaners/conditioners aren't going to get anywhere the leather (because as has been mentioned) they are coated.

So Gliptone conditioner is a waste of time then?

In this context yes, I have yet to test my seats but from the look and feel they have been treated and coated (polyvinylchloride with some sort of 'plastic lacquer' on top).

Usually the 'conditioners' actually attract more dirt (which can increase wear on high traffic seat bolsters etc) as it tends to help it crack rather than soften it up (power of association usually).

If they really do need a clean, a weak APC mixture (69p stardrops at 20:1 dilution for example) will help shift any stains.

This isn't the same for every manufacturer or every seat - but what I think from (not very much) testing.

This isn't an advert, but the only products I have seen that work well are from LTT Leather - they do a very good product that will prevent dye transfer, stains etc.

The best way to test is to scratch the seat and pour water on it - see how the surface reacts (does it absorb or sheet water).

Not scientific or conclusive evidence.

Posted 17 Oct 2010, 19:29 #16 

vindaloo
empsburna wrote:
This isn't an advert, but the only products I have seen that work well are from LTT Leather - they do a very good product that will prevent dye transfer, stains etc.

The best way to test is to scratch the seat and pour water on it - see how the surface reacts (does it absorb or sheet water).

Not scientific or conclusive evidence.

LTT are the only products I'd ever use on my leather. Most of the other so-called conditioners simply add a greasy finish to the leather. Leather should be matt not shiny & all you need to do is to clean it effectively and seal it against dirt not put a creamy or greasy coating on it.

Posted 17 Oct 2010, 20:07 #17 

jamesgreen
dont bother with any of that stuff i use "renapur" http://www.renapur.com/SITE/home_1.asp
it does what it says on the tin and best of all they dont rip you off.If memory serves me right it costs a £10 for the cleaner and the balsom with the sponges as well for application.And it doesnt leave any greasy marks
have a look at the link

sorry just reread my post and i stated that they rip you off i forgot to insert tghe word "DONT"

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 07:45 #18 

Last edited by jamesgreen on 22 Oct 2010, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

empsburna
jamesgreen wrote:dont bother with any of that stuff i use "renapur" http://www.renapur.com/SITE/home_1.asp
it does what it says on the tin and best of all they rip you off.If memory serves me right it costs a £10 for the cleaner and the balsom with the sponges as well for application.And it doesnt leave any greasy marks
have a look at the link

The point I am trying to make is that it isn't worth spending any money on products -they won't have any effect on the type of leather you have.

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 09:40 #19 

James.uk
I clean my seats n stuff with saddle soap, it does what it sez on the tin. You wont get a shine, but after a couple of days it does "glow" nicely..

I usually do the leather every six months, it only take 20 mins or so.. :) :thumbsup:

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 17:50 #20