Gidday by PeterW

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PeterW
Just a quick Hi.

My wife has a late 2004 Rover 75 Tourer with low miles. Replaces a connoisseur she wrote off so second Rover for her.

I am mainly looking for tips on how to go about any maintenance jobs that have issues! Currently have a handbrake problem that I see has a solution with a beefed up compensator from Arctic.

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 10:28 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Welcome Peter, send a PM to Arctic and he will sort you out with a handbrake compensator.

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 10:32 #2 

takestock
Cooling fan is always worth checking, not so much for engine cooling on the diesel but A/C operation. With ign on and demist selected then the cooling rad fan should run constant. Keep an eye on the engine temp as diesels are known to suffer from sluggish Stats and hence cold running engines. there is a quick fix for this. Obviously a check on the plenums, bootwell and carpets for water ingress goes without saying :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 10:34 #3 

PeterW
I've already sent a message to Arctic thanks Mike. I am interested in the comment from Takestock though as the cooling fan cuts in and out a lot (excessively to my mind) and is horrendously noisy in a way the previous Connoisseur wasn't and I wondered if there was a problem here, but I see that you would expect the fan to be running constantly with demist and ignition on. The engine temperature is fine. We've just had it on a trip to France and it was spot on. It is just the fan that is very noisy, disconcertingly and intrusively so. I thought that maybe when I got a few minutes to spare I would look for the possibility of faulty temperature sensors or similar. I will check to see if there is a difference with AC on or off.

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 10:59 #4 

takestock
Fan cutting in and out at high speed is classic sign of the resistor failing on the slow setting. This causes the A/C system to over heat/pressure and this brings the high speed fan on until it cools down, then it shuts off as it thinks the slow speed has taken over....

Look through the grill at the front of the car, you should see a silver resistor around the 2 0'clock position behind the fan it's about 75mm x15mm x15mm. If this is present it has almost certainly failed. not expensive to fix and should be upgraded to the gold type, available as a kit from JMA cars for under £20. Unfortunately if you have facelift car it is a bumper off job. ( Mk1's can be done through the front grill :)

You will need to either disconnect the battery or unplug the fan harness behind the bumper as the electrics to the fan are permanent live. ( Don't forget your radio codes and correct sat nav shutdown procedure if fitted)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 12:23 #5 

PeterW
Thanks for the advice. Sounds right on the money. Feels like I might be getting somewhere now! I have ordered the Gold resistor kit from JMA Cars. £18.75 including postage. :-)

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 13:53 #6