Getting rid of old fuel by PaulT

PaulT
Broke a Triumph TR7 awhile back - it was a shame but it was oh so rusty, even the rust holes had rust.

Took about 3 gallons of old fuel out of it - 2 in to petrol 'cans' and 1 in to an old oil container.

Now I could add that from the cans to Yves car but know I would get it in the neck if anything happened. The other is nicely mixed with oil.

So how do I get rid of it? preferably legally.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 16:03 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Your local council dump / recycling centre would be the place to go.

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 16:13 #2 

PaulT
Mick wrote:Your local council dump / recycling centre would be the place to go.

Thanks Mick - had thought of that 'but they only take oil'

So following your post phoned them and it is a case of taking it along.

Problem sorted.

Paul
Paul

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 16:31 #3 

Tourerfogey
For future reference any outlet licensed to sell petrol (i.e. every garage and filling station) has to accept 'reasonable quantities' of 'old' petrol for disposal - this is little known because, surprise, surprise, they don't publicise the fact that they are legally obliged to do this.

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 18:25 #4 

JohnDotCom
Handy bit of info TF, thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 18:45 #5 

PaulT
Very interesting about the petrol outlets.

Anyway, having phoned the wate disposal people for my council and telling them which tip I would like to take it to they phoned back and told me to take it there and ask for Scott.

This morning Scott was a bit put out that they knew of him but no problems straight in to their hazardous waste container and got rid of.

Now why did I not try getting rid of it a couple of years ago?

Still, just put our house on the market and have been doing things that I was going to do 10 years ago when we bought it - such as cladding the barge boards, upvc soffits and fascias etc.

Paul
Paul

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 10:09 #6