getting keys cut , nightmare...... by 1gp

1gp
hi , can anyone please help me ... does anyone no of a GOOD locksmith in the notts derby area ? as i had a new key cut and they killed it.. so now need to order another key and sort it very soon, many thanks....

Posted 18 May 2011, 21:50 #1 

PaulT
I believe that they have to come from Germany at the bargain price of £160!

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 May 2011, 06:28 #2 

1gp
no , mate you can get valeo keys for £30 with a recon circuit board . i can get keys coded not a problem , guy uses same kit as a dealer uses. its just getting a good locksmith to cut the key . they set the machine wrong on mine, and it cut it to one side .....

Posted 19 May 2011, 07:59 #3 

Duncan
Yes, but the dealers have to order the keys from Germany too, so how does that help? The dealers use a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) for setting up the key, but it still has to be preprogrammed for the transponder chip.

What data does he program into the transponder in the keys? Does he copy it from one of your other keys? If so they will both work for a short time, but with the rolling code, the transponder for the immobiliser in one will stop working if you use the other a few times.

I'm not saying it's impossible to program a new key, but copying another key doesn't work, for the immobiliser transponder part of it.

Posted 19 May 2011, 18:13 #4 

Dallas
I know exactly what you mean when you talk of trying to find a locksmith that is confident enough to cut these type of key-blade's, everyone I went to did not want to do the job as for destroying the key-blade. :-o

Finally I found one which was recommended by the other locksmiths, I think the guy's name is John but they are in Ferndown in Dorset.....
http://wellheeledferndown.co.uk/index.php he knew exactly what to do and had the right machine to do it.

I had 2 new blades cut and they worked first time (no cutting through the key and no miss-shaped cut) the guy is a genius. :clap: give em a call!

Cost was only £7.50 each blade.

They also do a re-programing for £70.00.

Posted 19 May 2011, 18:44 #5 

1gp
Duncan wrote:Yes, but the dealers have to order the keys from Germany too, so how does that help? The dealers use a T4 for setting up the key, but it still has to be preprogrammed for the transponder chip.

What data does he program into the transponder in the keys? Does he copy it from one of your other keys? If so they will both work for a short time, but with the rolling code, the transponder for the immobiliser in one will stop working if you use the other a few times.

I'm not saying it's impossible to program a new key, but copying another key doesn't work, for the immobiliser transponder part of it.

we use a guy at work quite alot to code keys , he really knows his stuff . he has the software which he uploads to the cars ecu as you do with the t4. No problems as yet ..... alot of people will just pay the £160 odd quid for the ease of it , and also because thats what there told to do .... getting it programed is not my problem , its finding a dam good locksmith to cut the dam things.

Posted 19 May 2011, 20:27 #6 

Last edited by 1gp on 19 May 2011, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

1gp
Dallas wrote:I know exactly what you mean when you talk of trying to find a locksmith that is confident enough to cut these type of key-blade's, everyone I went to did not want to do the job as for destroying the key-blade. :-o

Finally I found one which was recommended by the other locksmiths, I think the guy's name is John but they are in Ferndown in Dorset.....
http://wellheeledferndown.co.uk/index.php he knew exactly what to do and had the right machine to do it.

I had 2 new blades cut and they worked first time (no cutting through the key and no miss-shaped cut) the guy is a genius. :clap: give em a call!

Cost was only £7.50 each blade.

They also do a re-programing for £70.00.

TOP MAN , TOP MAN , TOP MAN.....

Posted 19 May 2011, 20:28 #7 

takestock
Never mind all this talk of keys, DID I HEAR YOU ARE CHANGING JOBS, does that mean no paint jobs :( :panic:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 May 2011, 05:33 #8 

Last edited by takestock on 20 May 2011, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

1gp
takestock wrote:Never mind all this talk of keys, DID I HEAR YOU ARE CHANGING JOBs, does that mean no paint jobs :( :panic:

oh, you come out the woodwork now do ya (lol) yes mate changing jobs , still working on cars , going to work for Watjag , in bakewell . They restore e type , and xk 120 and the like , should be intresting. dont no how it will work for doing my own jobs yet, will have to see. yep me cars got to go to, as money is tight .. but if it dont fetch what i want then its staying put, not letting it go for nothing.

Posted 20 May 2011, 18:18 #9 

takestock
What about my new years resolution :(. bit selfish of you looking after yourself and not us members that may or may not want some dents sorting (before the fathers day meet) . Seriously though, good luck with the job :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 May 2011, 18:23 #10 

1gp
takestock wrote:What about my new years resolution :(. bit selfish of you looking after yourself and not us members that may or may not want some dents sorting (before the fathers day meet) . Seriously though, good luck with the job :)

lol.... cheers mate .

Posted 20 May 2011, 18:42 #11 

1gp
well after the key place cut my new key and made a mess , i have put another key into the new case. took the key they had cut wrong out, and then tryed to put the small pin in my other key , didnt work , still very sloppy so then i heated the key up with hot air gun untill very hot, and put it into new case .... well its stuck it like S..t to a Blanket. very happy with the result of that.... about 10 mins messing around. just waiting now for another key to come , then find someone who can cut that one lol.

Posted 21 May 2011, 16:02 #12