Gear selection is sometimes hard. Why ? by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
HI
When i went out in the car yesterday after about 5 miles in slow trafic i noticed it was hard to find the gears very notchy, having to force it into 1st gear from pulling away then still a bit hard to change up through each gear, once speed as picked if i change down or up it seems ok.

Now this happened a few weeks back and i took no notice i thought i was just having a bad day and not getting the clutch bite right any ideas, would the gearbox need an oil change do you think or is it the clutch, milage on car is 130000. And do not know if clutch as ever been changed, if so how much and whom is best for the job in the wolves/tipton/blackcounrty areas
Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Jun 2011, 12:24 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 16 Jun 2011, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.

PaulT
An oil change is never a bad idea.

If the clutch has never been changed it may well need one now.

Try clutchless changes - you will need to get the revs right to change from one gear to another - should tell you if the clutch is cuasing problems.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Jun 2011, 12:48 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI paul
yes was thinking of doing a gerabox oil change MTF any good links as to were to purchase the right oil, also i have never done a clutchless change before, how will this work, also have been reading about the cables might need looking at changing or lubing ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Jun 2011, 18:15 #3 

PaulT
Clutchless change down:

pull the gear lever in to neutral, increase engine revs, push in to lower gear.

You very much need to use your ears. If it does not want to go in to gear the revs are wrong, just right and it will slide in.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Jun 2011, 19:09 #4