Fuse number help ASAP by kandyman (Page 3 of 4)

kandyman
Update,

Took the car in to my local auto electrician and left it there with him for the day,

He carried out a few tests and has come to the conclusion that there is not a wiring fault but more likely a BCU (Body Control Unit) fault with a dry solder joint. :confused:

What do you guys think ?

I understand that a new BCU would need to be coded to the car, can a 2nd hand unit be used/coded ?

Thanks

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 16:38 #41 

raistlin
Andy,

I have a spare BCU if you want to borrow it for testing purposes,ie. it might not be fully compatible with your car but the faults you have would probably be fixed if it was your BCU at fault. Then, if it is suitable for recoding, and confirms the fault you're welcome to keep it.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 16:57 #42 

kandyman
With all the reading I have been doing I'm not 100% its the BCU that's at fault.

If you got a contact number for Big Russ as I might give him a shout and see what help he can be.

Thanks for the offer Paul I'll keep that in mind.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 17:05 #43 

Duncan
I'm not 100% sure a second hand unit can be used, but can't see why not. There's a potential pitfall with the keys, as normally the barcode is needed to align a key to a BCU. However T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) might copy the data from the old to the new. Bigruss might advise on this.

It could be a bad joint in the BCU, but it would likely be the kbus connection. Wiggling the connector (its likely to be the connector with the dry joint if anything) or removal and inspection of the BCU might confirm it. I'd still suggest an intermittent wiring problem somewhere.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 17:38 #44 

kandyman
Thanks Duncan,

I think I'll be up to see you guys soon to try and resolve this before my MOT runs out.

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 19:55 #45 

kandyman
Another update,

Had a auto electrician come round today and gave the car a check over.

I got hold of a 2nd hand BCU just in case.

after plugging in his laptop and fired up the software it showed a fault on the K-Bus system.

After swapping over the BCU the fault still showed, after more checking the volts at the BCU - LSM (Light Switch Module) and the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) he came to the conclusion that it was the IPK that was at fault as the system showed no faults with this unplugged.

it all looked to me as this was the problem as he was testing and explaining it to me.

What do you guys think ?

So I'm now after a petrol IPK with trip to swap over to test?

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 11:06 #46 

Duncan
It could be but I wouldn't rely on it. Borrow one to check, before shelling out on a new one.. If there's a problem somewhere on the bus, unplugging any of the ibus/kbus units might help as they all (apart from the BCU) put a load on the bus. The BCU is sort of the supply for the bus (known as a pull up).

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 13:33 #47 

kandyman
Duncan I don't rely on anything with this fault but I'm lost with it and can only go on the advice from the (so called )experts :confused:

I spoke to Big Russ at the end of last week and he said that he was happy to trouble shoot for me if it wasn't fixed today.

I don't really want to get a 2nd hand IPK as the trip ones are dear but if this cures the fault all well and good if not then I'll have to drive up to Russ.

I could always look at selling the spare IPK and BCU to recoup some cost.

Thanks

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 13:41 #48 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Andy, I have a spare used non trip IPK if that can be utilised to test your problem. It's from my ZT when I upgraded to a trip model. You are welcome to it if it's of any use. FOC of course.

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 14:23 #49 

kandyman
Thanks Mick,

but I have managed to secure the one you linked to on ebay after a bit of haggling I got £60 off,due to the lack of them about wanted to get one while there was one available.

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 14:45 #50 

kandyman
I managed to pick up a brand new IPK this morning for a very good price the IPK part number is YAC00003850LNF which is for the MG ZT but I could always look at getting the dials changed over.

Anyway I took my old IPK out and installed the new one to test if the faults went away ( I never drove or started the car just turned the ignition on) …. But they never so I would assume that the fault still lays elsewhere.

It looks like I’m running out of “experts” around my way so a trip up to see Big Russ is looking more and more a possibility.

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 09:10 #51 

kandyman
Some information from Big Russ about the different ECU (Engine Control Unit)'s and bit fitted to our cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The are up to 5 bus (data) systems on the 75/ZT depending on the specification of the car

The fastest is CAN (Bus Controller Area Network)-bus which connects between the most important systems:

Engine (EMS) ECU, ABS (Antilock Braking System) ECU, Autobox ECU if fitted and the Instrument pack.

The next is the K-bus which connects all the other ECU's:

BCU (body control unit), SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) (airbag) ECU, LSM (lighting)ECU,
Parking sensor ECU, Rain sensor ECU, Sunroof ECU, Memory seat ECU, Cruise control ECU, ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) (aircon) ECU, FBH (Fuel burning heater.) (fuel burning heater) ECU. IPK (instrument pack) ECU

NAV-bus if a factory satnav system is fitted.

Window-bus independent bus system that controls the windows.

Diagnostic line: bus system that runs to the instrument pack and also the ABS and Traction control ECU's

The most important ECU in the car is the IPK (instrument pack) ECU it not only displays speed, revs etc but also act as a communication gateway translating from one bus system to another so that information can be shared between ECU's connected on different systems.

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 09:39 #52 

kandyman
Still ongoing,

Going to see Big Russ today to get to the bottom of this.

Hopefully I'll have a happy update later today.

If anyone's nearby and wants to meet up give me a shout.

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 06:06 #53 

Jürgen
I'll keep my fingers crossed Andy, that you'll find out the cause, finally.

kandyman wrote:If anyone's nearby and wants to meet up give me a shout.

I'm just a few hundred miles away ... does this count as nearby? :D

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 12:51 #54 

kandyman
Well I drove 4 hrs to see Big Russ this morning,

After a quick T4 sessions he diagnosed a faulty TV module, this was disconnected and seemed to clear the fault, I did disconnect the TV unit when I was doing my own testing but what I did was disconnected the digital TV module and not the analog module :whump:

Well after carrying out a short test drive and another session on the T4 that showed no fault codes it was decided that no further investigation was required :hail:

I have just got home from the 200 mile 4hr drive and the radio/AC worked all the way home and the indicators worked when required so i'm a happy R75 owner once again :clap:

MR Takestock popped over to say hi as he knew I was up, when Russ tested my Vis motors and they both worked Mr Stocktake looked surprised :-o ( good to see you again Dave )

So a big thanks to everyone that offered help and advice and thanks to Russ for giving up his Saturday.

So now im on the look out for a BMW E46 widescreen TV module or someone that fixings them.

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 17:08 #55 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thankfully a good result. Just a bit of cash to fix it and no more headache.

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 17:11 #56 

Duncan
Good result! And just goes to prove what Kbus faults can do. We were on the right lines looking for water in the spare wheel well, but the lack of it fooled us.

Posted 06 Oct 2013, 08:59 #57 

takestock
Has the problem stayed away Andy?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Oct 2013, 17:06 #58 

kandyman
I've been out today and the drive was fault free :)

I'll give it a few more days and try my old 4:3 screen and see what happens then

Posted 06 Oct 2013, 18:10 #59 

Bermudan 75
So sorted at last, and there was me thinking that this was going to be our first Community TV series.... :lol:

Mike

Posted 07 Oct 2013, 15:05 #60