Fuel leak by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I ran the engine for a while and noticed a run of diesel coming from behind the hose in the picture. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

Posted 10 Apr 2017, 16:29 #1 

Colvert
I have a diesel engine in my car but there is nothing to the left of the oil filter like that shown in your pic.

There's a space on mine and I can look straight down on to the top of the alternator.

Are you sure the leak is diesel and not just engine oil ??

Posted 12 Apr 2017, 11:33 #2 

Bermudan 75
Found this on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQ5NT91u-U

It would appear to be the same type of leak, although mine is not as bad.

Posted 14 Apr 2017, 17:24 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike.
That is you high pressure fuel pump looks like one of the seals have failed, you can get the kits to replace them all, but it is a major job to remove the HPFP special tool required, engine as to be supported also raised to get the special tool in, with out the tool the timing chain will slip/drop and then you are in a world of pain.

I have three of these HPFP in my shed, i have replaced all the seals on the regulator part which is what usually goes, but it looks like yours as failed on one of the side seals.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Apr 2017, 09:08 #4 

Last edited by Arctic on 23 Apr 2017, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
:) Hi Steve,

I have got the seal kit and the special tool and two jacks so I think I have all I need. Apart from a warm sunny weekend to do the job.

Mike

Posted 23 Apr 2017, 09:44 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote::) Hi Steve,

I have got the seal kit and the special tool and two jacks so I think I have all I need. Apart from a warm sunny weekend to do the job.

Mike

HI Mike.
Great allow your self about 2 hours to remove the pump, you will need to remove the starter motor also, if you struggle to find a 17mm Allen key to remove the engine cap to gain access to the 21mm nut, you can make one out of a 17mm bolt head with some thread and a nut lock these against each other then you can use that to remove the cap. few photo's of what I have below.

PS all the seals must be fitted in a very Clean Environment, on a tray with paper towels etc.

Image1

Image2

Image3

Bolt with 17mm head
Image4

Image5

cut the bolt down
Image6

add a locking nut
Image7

Image8

Made up 17mm removal tool ready to use if you do not have a 17mm Allen key
Image9

Made up 17mm tool in action
Image10

Image11

Image12

here you can see where the special tool as to screw into the engine
Image13

Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Apr 2017, 20:40 #6 

Bermudan 75
Thanks for the photographs Steve,

The link below is a good how to on replacing the seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krrij6jfimY

Mike

Posted 23 Apr 2017, 21:31 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike.
Great video on the replacement O-rings, I would get that alternator covered up if you are not using the car, otherwise that to will need changing due to diesel going into it from the leak, if it as not done so already ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 Apr 2017, 12:39 #8 

Bermudan 75
I have got a problem with removing the hydromount. The two screws (bolthead)on the 'engine steady mounting' will not budge.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Posted 01 May 2017, 19:00 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Mike
How did you get on in the end, hopefully all was sorted and you are back up and running please let us know cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 May 2017, 08:51 #10