Fuel consumption on trip comp by johnwh74

johnwh74
I was wondering how accurate the fuel consumption is on the trip computer. I was driving down the M18 today with cruise control set at 70 :D and i was curious and had a look to see what mpg i was doing.
first result was 91mpg
second result was 87mpg
third time was 81mpg

Got bored after that :lol:
So how true is the reading and if its not even close then why bother putting it on in the first place?

Johno
Nottingham Forest Forever

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 23:16 #1 

Zeb
johnwh74 wrote:I was wondering how accurate the fuel consumption is on the trip computer. I was driving down the M18 today with cruise control set at 70 :D and i was curious and had a look to see what mpg i was doing.
first result was 91mpg
second result was 87mpg
third time was 81mpg

Got bored after that :lol:
So how true is the reading and if its not even close then why bother putting it on in the first place?

Johno

It is more accurate over a greater period of time / miles....but still rather optimistic....why put it there? Cos all the other 'quality' cars have it... :D

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 06:57 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Since Monk installed my trip computer IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) a few weeks ago mine has been fairly accurate at 31-35 mpg. Thanks again Dave. :). Brim to brim I get 29 - 30

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 07:53 #3 

JohnDotCom
You can adjust them after a series of runs, to become far more accurate, more so when Re Mapped / synergy fitted.
A synergy on the diesel makes the MPG optimistic by between 10% and 20%.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 10:22 #4 

carlpenn
When you did the readings did you reset the counter? This would give false readings as the vehicle needs to be stood still when you reset.

The calculations are done over the last few miles every so often, so if you reset while moving, your mileage records higher than your Fuel Consumption, giving innacurate readings i.e 50Mpg etc when in fact it should be 35Mpg if that makes sense.

You probably know that, so if you do, sorry - Wasn't trying to be smart :D

I get a rather nice 26 - 29Mpg now around town and 35 - 36Mpg on the Motorway (more if I drop to 65Mph)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 12:45 #5 

johnwh74
carlpenn wrote:When you did the readings did you reset the counter? This would give false readings as the vehicle needs to be stood still when you reset.

The calculations are done over the last few miles every so often, so if you reset while moving, your mileage records higher than your Fuel Consumption, giving innacurate readings i.e 50Mpg etc when in fact it should be 35Mpg if that makes sense.

You probably know that, so if you do, sorry - Wasn't trying to be smart :D

I get a rather nice 26 - 29Mpg now around town and 35 - 36Mpg on the Motorway (more if I drop to 65Mph)

I reset them while i was still driving, Damn now i have had my dreams of 81mpg shattered :hissyfit:
I didnt know that Carl so i am using that as learning something new everyday, something i am finding alot since becoming a 75 owner :D

Brim to brim i am getting about 550 miles with a 164k 75 diesel

thanks John

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 13:15 #6 

ceedy
Reset it and then Do a blast off standing start!!! .... see how low you get !!! .. not too often though unless you can afford it !!! :lol: :lol:

My Zt auto has achieved 7.2 mpg. :shock:

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 14:54 #7 

johnwh74
ceedy wrote:Reset it and then Do a blast off standing start!!! .... see how low you get !!! .. not too often though unless you can afford it !!! :lol: :lol:

My Zt auto has achieved 7.2 mpg. :shock:

Chris

I will try that when i go to pick Amy up from work ;)

Lowest mpg i have driven was a 5.4 litre Ford Experdition when we was in USA, had it reading 5.5mpg :D. didnt do that very often though!! :D

John

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 16:18 #8