FTAO CDT owners.. by James.uk

James.uk
This is quite interesting... http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?cotm200505f.htm ...

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 00:15 #1 

Rammie
It is James!

I had this done 3 years ago and the difference is truely amazing. I had this done to improve torque as I tow a caravan as opposed to being a "boy racer". Now I have the best of both world's. :thumbsup:
Simon Coe, who came to do mine is very knowledgable guy too and knows a lot about MGR cars. He was the one who pointed out to me, a then novice 75 owner, about Plenums etc.

Would certainly recommend this. :cheers:
Brian

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 06:30 #2 

chrislloydie
So is this a remap or a chip? Just wondering if its compatible with the synergy2? Now that would be fun!

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 07:22 #3 

Bartonrover
James.uk wrote:This is quite interesting... http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?cotm200505f.htm ...

Indeed. Years ago I had the X Power chip done to 135 bhp and the difference is really noticeable - so I can see why Keith is so pleased. My fuel consumption did deteriorate - but that is probably because you just cannot help putting your foot down coming out of corners and feeling that lovely free surge. I used to average 52-55 mpg but since it was X Powered it fell to 47-50 mpg.

But what Keith does not mention in the article is the extra cost of insurance - or rather in my case, the point blank refusal of Churchill to consider any mod whatsoever! They gave me 3 weeks to find another insurer. Whilst there are plenty of insurers who will listen, Tesco, Aviva, Direct Line wouldn't. Happily, I managed to get Churchill to reconsider for a nominal £40 but only after letters from my dealer and me. Yes you might get away with not telling your insurer but if you are caught you could lose a lot more than your car...

Interesting that he also mentions having his sills painted black Cowley style. (Beejay you are not alone!).I have a Cowley and a Longbridge saloon and am thinking of doing exactly the same. The entire line becomes much sleeker and the rear end so much neater IMO.

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 08:44 #4 

raistlin
I think this was the re-map that Richie Evans had on his ZT before he went to the dark (BMW) side. I know he was very impressed with it and I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed any opportunity I got to drive his car as well ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 09:34 #5 

djw40
So what difference and how does this compare with a synergy2?

I have no idea mechanically, but I take it no different MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is needed....

Have to say I do like the sound of this.

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 09:43 #6 

raistlin
In my view, 170 BHP and the associated torque is about as far as you'd want to go with this car to keep it reliable and without having to consider major upgrades elsewhere, clutch, suspension etc. The latest incarnation of the upsolute map would place you squarely in this territory.

I have the XPart remap to CDTi standard plus the Synergy which brings VeeKay close to the 170 mark as well, about 164 if I recall correctly. There is no reason, I suppose, why Ron shouldn't modify the Synergy to gain even more from a car with the upsolute map but I shudder to think what it might do to the car.

So I would say, either Synergy or upsolute map, assuming 135PS initially, until somebody could provide convincing evidence that more power and torque could be safely assimilated by the rest of the car :)

MAF, as you say, would stay the same.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 09:52 #7 

Rammie
Also, as you don't have to thrash the car through the gears, MPG seems improved.
I changed my MAF around 4 weeks ago with a Bosch replacement. So that, along with the re-map produced the following results.

We then had a trip to see the Grandkids in Winchester which is a 360 mile round trip and on a brim to brim check I was astonished to find Boris had done 56.6 mpg, stonking! :thumbsup:
The roads were Motorway / Dual Carrigeway :clap: so my average speed was c70 mph so didn't really hang about, well pleased with that. ;)

Even towing the C A R A V A N which is nearly 1.5 tonnes I get around 34 mpg! :clap:

There are some members out there that would like a return like that. :cheers:
Brian

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 11:49 #8 

James.uk
I emailed the writer and found out the article is 5 years old... Sorry.. But it is still interesting I think.. oh, and I gave him a link to this site as well. :)
... :-|

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 12:14 #9 

Bartonrover
James.uk wrote:I emailed the writer and found out the article is 5 years old... Sorry.. But it is still interesting I think.. oh, and I gave him a link to this site as well. :)
... :-|

Maybe But it does say "This page was last modified on Friday, 17 July 2009 at 14:07" - so it's not something he had forgotten about or should be deleted. As you say, still of interest for CDT owners.

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 14:05 #10 

djw40
I presume having an Auto wouldn't make a difference in either having more of an advantage over the other?

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 16:00 #11 

James.uk
Nope, the mod is for the engine so it doesn't matter what gearbox it has.. :thumbsup: :D

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 16:03 #12 

raistlin
James.uk wrote:Nope, the mod is for the engine so it doesn't matter what gearbox it has.. :thumbsup: :D

Except at the traffic lights ;) :twisted:
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 16:11 #13 

djw40
raistlin wrote:
James.uk wrote:Nope, the mod is for the engine so it doesn't matter what gearbox it has.. :thumbsup: :D

Except at the traffic lights ;) :twisted:

Naah - it's all about the driver!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 16:34 #14 

starbug2
i set out to get the CDTI in the first place so it is plenty Voomy :clap: :thumbsup: .
never been in the lower powered one but from i gather there is a big difference :stirer: and Austin garages agrees that mine goes well :thumbsup: (we he has had it enough times :panic: :hissyfit: :panic: )

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 18:46 #15 

Rammie
starbug2 wrote:i set out to get the CDTI in the first place so it is plenty Voomy :clap: :thumbsup: .
never been in the lower powered one but from i gather there is a big difference :stirer: and Austin garages agrees that mine goes well :thumbsup: (we he has had it enough times :panic: :hissyfit: :panic: )

Nick has driven mine too, well hammered, would be a better description as the brakes were smoking on his return. He said he was well impressed too ;)
Brian

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 21:14 #16 

JohnDotCom
I had the same custom remap by Upsolute as rich had on his car in the beginning of the Synergy era,
before he sold on and went to a BMW 3 Litre Diesel. :(
My car as many will know, was standard 131BHP and has had many modifications and on a rolling road (twice) has returned 170BHP with the additional Synergy fitted and set on No:2 as advised by Rover Ron at time due to increased Torque etc it would be damaging to some components to leave it turned up higher.
The graphs and figures were on Club site but I can no longer access my photos on there so will have to have another session soon (seem to have mislaid originals) :em:

My car can shift when required and when the wick was turned up further the performance matched going to red line in all gears (and its a Auto) improving the 0 - 62MPH timings the 50 - 70MPH in top timings and the top speed also increased a lot to. (Must find the track figures) Top speed indicated (where allowed) was 145MPH :gmc:
My normal MPG with Climate control always on at 16C is 43 - 49MPG and at a steady 56MPH returns 51MPG
if driving around just Town it can drop as low as 29MPG.
Bear in mind a Automatic, use os sports setting frequent, but couldn't hit the 172BHP Rich did with his Manual box.

Mick has had a spin in this and said it was very similar to performance of his 2004 MG ZT V6 no mean feat, before the last upgrades.

Other modifications are:
Synergy original, BMC Air Filter, Wastegate Spring replacement, MK2 Air Intake Mod, Pierburg MAF, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) bypass, regular PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) change and services, Traction Control, Rear anti roll bar, ZT Spings and different shocks, plus a few other things here and there. ;)
All declared for Insurance and NO increase in premium except for the 16:9 Sat Nav system and if I wanted to change the alloys.

One last thing although she is 2005 she has done well over 180,000 miles now, and same auto gearbox! :D
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 21:52 #17