Frozen Powerfolds by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
During the cold spell last week my powerfolds were frozen by ice in the closed position. The drivers side opened after 2 or 3 attempts and the passenger side stayed one third open. After 5 mins or so the passenger side mirror fully opened after the switch was pressed to first close them and then to open them.

Would it be better to leave them in the open position? My thinking behind this is that if they are closed and they ice up, will trying to open them damage the electric motor ?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 12 Dec 2010, 18:30 #1 

SpongeBob
Rover418275 wrote:During the cold spell last week my powerfolds were frozen by ice in the closed position. The drivers side opened after 2 or 3 attempts and the passenger side stayed one third open. After 5 mins or so the passenger side mirror fully opened after the switch was pressed to first close them and then to open them.

Would it be better to leave them in the open position? My thinking behind this is that if they are closed and they ice up, will trying to open them damage the electric motor ?

Cheers

Mike

I would say yes - trying to move them whilst they are iced up may cause problems. I must admit mine managed to move even during the icy weather despite my fears that that would have been frozen in place. You could always pour some luke-warm (not hot!!) water over them in the morning to help the defrosting process ;)

Posted 12 Dec 2010, 20:52 #2 

Bermudan 75
SpongeBob wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:During the cold spell last week my powerfolds were frozen by ice in the closed position. The drivers side opened after 2 or 3 attempts and the passenger side stayed one third open. After 5 mins or so the passenger side mirror fully opened after the switch was pressed to first close them and then to open them.

Cheers

Mike

I would say yes - trying to move them whilst they are iced up may cause problems. I must admit mine managed to move even during the icy weather despite my fears that that would have been frozen in place. You could always pour some luke-warm (not hot!!) water over them in the morning to help the defrosting process ;)

Thanks Simon,

better to be safe than sorry, so I will keep a kettle handy, I believe the Artic weather is due to return this week.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 13 Dec 2010, 09:26 #3 

raistlin
I think I'd be concerned about the chocolate worm gear as well :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Dec 2010, 10:46 #4