Front Suspension overhauled by carlpenn

carlpenn
My Wife's friends Boyfriend and I spent yesterday stripping the Front Suspension and refitting it with the new parts I bought.

What a difference!!

The N/S Strut was shot, it had been leaking and the Damper could be pushed easily all the way down with one hand and virtually no effort!!

The Springs were a little worse for wear with lots of rust bubbling under the Paint. Patches of Paint had flaked away leaving Rust to get a grip.

The Strut Bearings looked ok, which was weird as there had been a groaning, creaking noise every time I turned the steering However, the Droplinks were somewhat floppy, hence the rattling (I presume)

So, 10pm last night, after a total of 6 hours (including Lunch Break and several Coffee breaks I may add ), we had completely stripped the Suspension and refitted it with new parts, which also involved removing the Hubs as the Strut Pinch Bolt was not for coming off at first and, due to restricted access, was proving a nightmare to work on, so we decided for ease of access and to prevent any possible shearing, to remove Hub and work it off the Car (Which proved to be the wisest choice as gave the access to plonk loads of Penetrating oil and a few taps from a Copper Hammer )

The Car is riding much higher (obvious I know) and smoother, the Mudflaps are not catching the Drive as we go over the crest from the Pavement. Just to get the Tracking checked over now

Total for the Job was £406, that was for:

2 x Sachs Struts (ECP)
2 x Sachs Springs (ECP)
2 x Droplinks (oem) (Endon Services)
2 x Bump Stops (oem) (Endon Services)
2 x Strut Bearing and Mounts (oem) (Endon Services)
2 x Spring isolator Bushes (oem) (Endon Services)
2 x Tyre / Spring Protector Cups (oem) (Endon Services)

Any other bits were recycled from the old Strut Assemblies, not many though as most was new.

T'was my first time doing something other than "Minor" Surgery on a 75 and must say, I am buzzing about it. On to the rear suspension now, though that is a much bigger planned Job :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 17:56 #1 

takestock
I'll drop mine off for you to do later this week Carl :) You should have it down to around 4 hours now :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 18:11 #2 

carlpenn
takestock wrote:I'll drop mine off for you to do later this week Carl :) You should have it down to around 4 hours now :)

If you fetch a box full of Yum Yum's ..............:p
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 18:24 #3 

kandyman
Well done on tackling a big job.

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 22:14 #4