From Bad to Worse ... by Chartermark (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Chartermark
5 years ago when my car was supplied (via my last employer), it remained unused for over six months, whilst title was established. When I bought it with 419 miles on the clock, both sets of keys operated the doors etc manually, but neither set operated the remote functions.

Post crash of Rover, and no warranty, I took it to an Auto Electrician, who successfully programmed the one set I had with me at the time. to operate the doors etc.

Over the past 5 plus years I've tried to get the other set (with bar codes) working. Four ex main dealers and 2 members herein have tried unsuccessfully to enter the bar codes into the ECU (Engine Control Unit) via the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System). The last was Duncan, a few weeks ago, who confirmed the bar code tags don't relate to the key their attached to.

We concluded I try on all three main Rover forums, to gain a transponder with a genuine bar code attached in 'Items Wanted', as well as Ebay.

With nil responses, and no joy on the web, this morning I re-visited the original Auto Electrician who seemed confident he could provide the solution and for a very reasonable £35.

Somewhat conscious of my seemingly insoluble problem, I was pleased to let him try.

Upon returning a couple of hours later, I was advised both keys have now 'lost' the remote capability!

So now I only have the manual key operation, which means I keep tripping alarms etc etc.

The Electrician (a large established business locally), is going to refer the problem to an ex 'Rover' dealer, with a T4 tomorrow and loan me a car for the day.

My faith in 'Rover Dealers' with 'T'4's' is very low, so I expect I'll end up with a 'non -remote keyed' vehicle, around tea-time?

At worse, (now a likely probability as I reason it), I need 2 new transponders and barcodes from BMW at a cost circa to £400?

As this problem is something I want gone, I've decided to 'buy my way' out. Can anyone tell me how I go about this? Do I just pitch up at Mr BMW dealer (who's going to be so interested) and ask for transponders, complete with log-book, receipt for car etc, etc.

Any help appreciated ...

Posted 31 May 2011, 13:55 #1 

raistlin
Surely the onus is on the "auto electrician" to supply the remedy Martin? At the very least to return things to the status quo ante?

As I understand it, he attempted to do the work without actually having a T4 which seems to me asking for trouble.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 31 May 2011, 14:14 #2 

Last edited by raistlin on 31 May 2011, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Chartermark
Hello Paul,

Since posting, he has just rung to say his contact says 'not to worry the code is in there and a T4 will find it OK'.

I always take the view the Americans taught me that 'anyone who initiates a FUBAR ain't much good at cures' - but I think he knows his liabilities under the supply of goods & services act 1982, if not I can certainly remind him, from bitter experience of being his side of it too often. So far they've acquiesced all the way with me, so I'll go along with it.

I was surprised he didn't have a T4, how did he manage to programme the key, from scratch 5 years ago?

Posted 31 May 2011, 15:17 #3 

raistlin
Chartermark wrote:I was surprised he didn't have a T4, how did he manage to programme the key, from scratch 5 years ago?

I was thinking the same thing Martin. Does he have a secret which we should know about ;)
Paul

Posted 31 May 2011, 15:27 #4 

Chartermark
I'm sure by the time this has reached it's natural conclusion I'll be the most experienced dilettante of the year on keys!

Isn't it funny how quickly we forget how simple life was with a humble key?

Trouble is my arms aren't long enough to lock the car up, when I forget it from 4 floors up!

Posted 31 May 2011, 16:00 #5 

raistlin
Chartermark wrote:Trouble is my arms aren't long enough to lock the car up, when I forget it from 4 floors up!

We've got a mod for that :lol:
Paul

Posted 31 May 2011, 16:11 #6 

baconbuttyman
i have a habit of just using the keys and not the fob, at least they will last longer lol
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 31 May 2011, 16:28 #7 

Chartermark
baconbuttyman wrote:i have a habit of just using the keys and not the fob, at least they will last longer lol

If I can just return to where I was this morning, I'll never attempt to remedy the 'Spare' again, the conflict is just not worth it!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ...

Posted 31 May 2011, 17:15 #8 

Duncan
The problem with Martin's car is being a late one, the key in the door doesn't switch off the alarm likme it does on earlier ones. We found the same on Robs until it was artificially 'aged' by a T1 disc.

It is possible the keycode for the working key is still stored. As well as the ability to program barcodes with the T4, you can enable and disable existing keys in case they are lost and then found again. I suspect (well hope for his sake) all, he has done is disable the working key. A dealer with a T4 should be able to enable it again without the barcode, if that is the case.

Regarding the key: just bide your time a little if I were you. It's been bank holiday so maybe they've suspended selling them. I'm keeping my eye open.

I don't think you go to a BMW dealer, I think you have to go to an xpart representative, and xpart are authorised to get them from the BMW spares place. Lates can usually help, provided with the right paperwork.

Posted 31 May 2011, 17:43 #9 

Chartermark
Thanks Duncan,

I'll keep looking, Lates (Pete) have asked me a couple of questions on the other side. I think that your suggestion re the Barcode being still in the T4 is my man's belief as well. It seemed after he spoke to whoever had the T4 also believed that too. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Martin

Posted 31 May 2011, 19:56 #10 

Chartermark
Getting Worse

Dropped car off this morning and came back in loan car, (generic description only). Not having heard anything by 4.30pm I rung and was advised
'its still with our Rover man'.

Rung again at 6pm,
'sorry they've all gone home'.

Isn't it amazing, how in a world where communication devices seem to proliferate to domination, that the common manners of customer contact are lost?

I think this brinkmanship may be deliberate to get me to walk away from their duty to return the car as it was?

Actually that's unimportant, as I fear it's beyond their decency, and contemporaneously cognisance, to comprehend.

As my father used to say

'never argue with an idiot, they'll always beat you with experience'

Posted 01 Jun 2011, 18:34 #11 

raistlin
Chartermark wrote:I think this brinkmanship may be deliberate to get me to walk away from their duty to return the car as it was?

I think that perhaps they don't know you. I think that maybe they'll learn ;)
Paul

Posted 01 Jun 2011, 18:41 #12 

Chartermark
Evening Paul,

Actually I don't think they're worth the effort. I just intend to get the car from the 'Landrover' dealer they may have left it with, (Fairfax / Lookers of Colchester), leave their car (generic term only) with them, and put it all behind me.

The 'high cost of getting even' (my BP) is a price I can no longer afford to pay, whereas the pecuniary cost is fortunately now the tertiary consideration ...

Posted 01 Jun 2011, 18:49 #13 

Dave Goody
Hi Martin, as you come to Chelmsford regularly, order keys from Chelmer Rover, I got my spare here, 7-10 days, and he has [and knows how to use T4] Take your owner doc with you. Regards Dave

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 10:28 #14 

Duncan
Martin, my research seems to have worked. I should be able to calculate the barcodes for the keys for you! Let me know if you want this done.

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 12:30 #15 

Dave Goody
Duncan wrote:Martin, my research seems to have worked. I should be able to calculate the barcodes for the keys for you! Let me know if you want this done.

Definently try Duncan 1st :-D Dave

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 17:25 #16 

Dave
baconbuttyman wrote:i have a habit of just using the keys and not the fob, at least they will last longer lol

At least 75/ZT keys are strong enough to do this!

The two Ford Probes I had prior to the 75 had keys that were seemingly made out of wet loo roll, and you did everything you could to not use them!

Almost as bad as that on a Porsche 911. I have never owned one, but once had to move one at a GP surgery I was working at (20 feet in reverse). Managed to almost break the key in the ignition and handed it back hanging on by a thread! :oops:

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 18:46 #17 

Chartermark
Dave Goody wrote:
Duncan wrote:Martin, my research seems to have worked. I should be able to calculate the barcodes for the keys for you! Let me know if you want this done.

Definently try Duncan 1st :-D Dave

Hello Dave,

9.10am yesyerday had a call from the auto - elecs in Colchester.

'Rover' dealer or T4 owner purportedly says:

'trying to input the wrong code has caused the problem'.

This probably also translates as Motor Trade Bumper Fun Book model answer no 3;

'We haven't got a clue, so try this one'

Seething, (as I'd explained NOT to try the barcode as Duncan had identified it as the problem), I laconically retorted "Yes"

"So we are ordering you two new Keys, to code in, which have to come from Germany, as we have caused you the trouble, please accept them with no charge as recompense."

A truly magnanimous gesture, for which I'm very grateful.

Duncan now also has my PCB (Printed Circuit Board) codes and is going to put them in the 'Duncan Stafford Collider' at 315ghz accelerating to 25 times the speed of light and by the fusion of particles of barcode, hexidecimalised key stickers and the odd CR2032 battery, is expecting a result, whereby the doors will open!

Stephen Hawking eat your heart out ...

Posted 03 Jun 2011, 08:45 #18 

Dave Goody
What a result! Thats about £400 in compensation! Now if Duncan can sort out your old ones you will have 4. Well done that man Dave

Posted 03 Jun 2011, 09:53 #19 

Chartermark
Actually Dave, I couldn't really believe the double key offer, so I took Lewis with me, when we went to collect my 75. We journeyed in a very interesting 'R' plate loan special Renault, complete with modified track rod ends, that seemed to be playing the theme tune to Terminator 3!

There was no argument at all just gushing apologies. So we went scrapyarding, where my young accomplice assailed a very ill ZT (2nd storey stacker) to remove two door glasses for me.

He variously gleaned other parts scudding around like Cap'n Jack Sparrow in the rigging, whilst I rather resembled Long John Silver by comparison, handing up sockets and screwdrivers etc.

Great day though, we did well.

An hour ago a big bouquet arrived for Irina from the same firm who are replacing the keys, a truly noble gesture ...

I might lose my cynical definition if I go on, so I'll stop here ...

Posted 03 Jun 2011, 10:14 #20