Fitting a better battery by raistlin

raistlin
A friend of mine has a CDTi and has a failing battery.

He asked me if a type 110 battery would fit in the battery box but I haven't got a clue to be honest.

So, does anybody know if a type 110 battery would be a good replacement for the standard type 96 and if so does the battery box need any modification please?

Thanks for any ideas chaps :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Nov 2013, 22:53 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Battery descriptions always include physical dimensions. Therefore measure existing and or battery compartment and search for a suitable replacement be it 110 or other.

I'll see if I can find the right dimensions from the last one I bought.

Posted 23 Nov 2013, 23:25 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
These are the correct physical dimensions of the original OEM battery and the replacement Bosch Silver S4008 I have in my car 278L x 175W x 175H

From memory I think it is possible to fit a longer battery. The BOSCH S4 CAR BATTERY TYPE 110 for example is
Length: 315mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 175mm

Posted 23 Nov 2013, 23:32 #3 

raistlin
That is exactly the size that Wesley is looking at fitting Mick but it would take up the whole battery tray so was wondering whether there's an alternative securing method.
Paul

Posted 23 Nov 2013, 23:46 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'll have a butchers in the morning. Unless someone posts first.

Posted 23 Nov 2013, 23:53 #5 

Trebor
The existing securing strap attaches to a metal bracket which locates in place with a 10ml bolt at the front of the box

The box measurements are approx 325mm x 190mm x 190mm, so if the above 110 measurements are correct then the 110 will fit with about 10mm spare length ways.

The threaded hole for the securing bracket is approx 10ml from the front of the box, or put another way approx 315mm from the other end so the 110 may sit just on the hole, but if it does how about fitting the bolt into the existing hole from underneath and bringing the strap up the side of the box and across the top, although this may need a bit of modification on the battery cover

Alternatively drill a new hole in the spare 10mm, modify the metal bracket and no mod needed to the battery box cover

The metal plate underneath the battery lifts out after removing 3 torx screws so any modding can be done off the car to make it easier
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 24 Nov 2013, 17:46 #6 

raistlin
Good plan Rob :)
Paul

Posted 24 Nov 2013, 18:23 #7 

Devilish
A month old but I would just like to add that I have a S5
175mm is the maximum height a battery will fit into the box if the lid is going to be fitted.
175mm is the maximum width
375 mm is the maximum length to be able to strap down the battery using original bolt hole
Bigger than
Mick wrote:The BOSCH S4 TYPE 110
Length: 315mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 175mm

or Bosch S5 is pointless
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 22 Dec 2013, 09:51 #8