'First Light' on BBC2 by Cowley_MOA

Cowley_MOA
I am currently watching the superb 'First Light' on BBC2. In a shot of Battle of Britain Pilot Geoffrey Wellum today he is behind the Walnut Wheel driving a Rover 75!
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 20:21 #1 

Chartermark
How wonderful to see Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum in his 75 tonight, as he described flying his first Spitfire aged 18, in the Beeb's great programme 'First Light' on 2.

Two classics appreciated by a genuine Maestro ...

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 20:25 #2 

Cowley_MOA
Chartermark wrote:
Two classics appreciated by a genuine Maestro ...

I couldn't have put it better myself!
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 20:32 #3 

Duncan
Just finished watching it myself. Great program, great car.

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 21:21 #4 

Cowley_MOA
Duncan wrote:Just finished watching it myself. Great program, great car.

It certainly was! I hope it comes out onto DVD.
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 21:29 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Topics merged.

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 21:42 #6 

raistlin
It certainly was well worth watching.

I managed to record it and it will be a keeper :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:39 #7 

Chartermark
Cowley_MOA wrote:

I got all but the first 5 mins. If you'd like a copy let me know and I'll send you a DVD, just PM me your address. I read the book of this programme, 6 or seven years ago now. I recommend it to anyone, a beautifully crafted account written with sensitivity by a very brave man.

My uncle was a Spitfire pilot with 5 kills, but not in '92 Squadron. Shot down over France and captured by the Germans he spent 3 years in various prison camps, terminating at Colditz, because he was a bad boy and kept trying to go home!

They are an incredible breed, and through him, whilst he was alive, I was fortunate to meet with many of them at the RAF club in Piccadilly and without exception, all were totally self effacing.

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 00:28 #8 

Cowley_MOA
Chartermark wrote:
Cowley_MOA wrote:

I got all but the first 5 mins. If you'd like a copy let me know and I'll send you a DVD, just PM me your address. I read the book of this programme, 6 or seven years ago now. I recommend it to anyone, a beautifully crafted account written with sensitivity by a very brave man.

My uncle was a Spitfire pilot with 5 kills, but not in '92 Squadron. Shot down over France and captured by the Germans he spent 3 years in various prison camps, terminating at Colditz, because he was a bad boy and kept trying to go home!

They are an incredible breed, and through him, whilst he was alive, I was fortunate to meet with many of them at the RAF club in Piccadilly and without exception, all were totally self effacing.

What a fantastic story! PM sent :)
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 08:09 #9 

Chartermark
PM for you Lewis ...

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 12:47 #10 

Bermudan 75
I also recorded the programme last night as well as the one about the Wellington.

I will watch them this evening on the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain with a glass of Spitfire beer in my hand with which I intend to toast, 'The Few'.

:cheers:

Mike

ps Don't forget to support the 'Wings Appeal'.

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 16:33 #11 

Bartonrover
Was intending going down our local for the first time in weeks - but when I saw that the Wellington programme and First Light were on I stayed in instead. So glad I did.

I'm not a great TV watcher but both these programmes I found incredibly moving and Wellum's contribution brought tears to my eyes. As someone the wrong side of 60 I was brought up on WW2 comics and Airfix model kits - and had a charmed life with no real hardships whatsoever. I now have two sons, 18 and 20 respectively: I tried to imagine either of them flying a Spitfire - and being machine gunned by the enemy - and surviving for so long. I gave up. That film should be shown to all boys of the same age before they disappear into the big wide world they all now take so much for granted.

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 17:22 #12 

geesmith
Thanks for the merge Mick. ;)
So glad I wasn't the only one to see this. I distinctly remember dad telling me when I was about 7 years old how he was taken up in a Mosquito at the age of 19 and doing all kinds of aerobatics.....only to tell me in his 70's that he made it up!~(he blamed Stones Breweries for this story). :lol:

I can think of some 18 year olds that I would cheer as they were shot down in their first fifteen minutes of duty......shame on me for joking. :roll:

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 11:42 #13 

Bermudan 75
I actually got around to watching this programme over the weekend, it has done nothing to diminish my admiration for a generation who gave everything they could to save this country in it's darkest hour.

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 13:40 #14