Firefox problem by raistlin

raistlin
Can anybody help with this one please?

Firefox (latest update) is having trouble opening certain random websites and just sits there mutely until it decides that the server is not responding.

However, using Internet Explorer (YUCK) I can open the website instantaneously.

Any ideas please?

Thank you
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 11:32 #1 

JohnDotCom
If using Windoze 7 Paul I have similar here. Have reverted to Safari / Chrome and IE9.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 17:57 #2 

raistlin
Thanks John.

It must be a new Firefox "improvement" then :(
Paul

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 18:27 #3 

Jürgen
To me it looks like quality isn't a priority anymore. There's a tight schedule to develop new versions these days. 4.x has been released in March, a few weeks later it has been 5.x, now it's already 6.x ... That's just crazy. :(

BTW Now they intend to hide the version number from the users. :roll:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=678775

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 18:58 #4 

raistlin
Well, I used to like Firefox but it's diabolical now.

I think of IE as about the same level as a virus.

Chrome is fast but unintuitive :( Unless I've not used it enough
Paul

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 19:16 #5 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:Well, I used to like Firefox [...]

Me too.

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 20:01 #6 

Bernard
I've had to revert to using FF again (older version) as Chrome is just too unstable for viewing the Community forum. Its ridiculous, having to swap browsers for different websites.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 17 Aug 2011, 20:12 #7 

raistlin
OK. This is a conspiracy :(

Having convinced myself that IE 9 was far better than previous versions I was just starting to get along with it.

Then I went to tidy up my "Favourites" folder and found today's deliberate error

Error 100. Invalid class string
which, of course, being so plain and intuitive, immediately lead me to... WTF.

SO decided to research it on the 'net and wish I hadn't. What a load of old bollox.

OK chaps. Does anybody know how to get round this error in Windose 7 64-bit please?
Paul

Posted 18 Aug 2011, 15:36 #8 

raistlin
Oh well, back to Firefox 3.6... and it works perfectly :) So much for the "improvements" in Firefox 6 but when you talk to them they deny that there are any problems with it, even in the face of evidence to the contrary on the 'net.
Paul

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 16:11 #9 

takestock
A 75 owner should never be without chrome, :D :D Far better than that IE8 slug I've been used to :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 17:23 #10 

Jürgen
takestock wrote:A 75 owner should never be without chrome, :D :D

:clap:

takestock wrote:Far better than that IE8 slug I've been used to :)

IE8 :?: :shock: :panic:

You should better ponder on this browser then. :D

:scared:

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 17:54 #11 

psicobra
Make sure your connection settings are correct. If you have Internet Explorer and it works, compare Internet Explorer's connection settings (e.g., Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections: LAN) to those of Firefox (Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network / Connection -> Settings) or Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey (Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies).
If your connection settings are not correct but any changes you try to make are not saved after restarting your Mozilla application, make sure you don't have a utility program such as "Hide IP Platinum" that modifies your connection settings. Even if the utility is no longer installed, the user.js file may still contain the modified settings [1]. To resolve this problem, open the profile folder and look for a user.js file. If found, either remove the user.js file or edit it to remove any "proxy" settings it may contain as outlined here, then reset the connection settings.

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 22:06 #12