Fibre glass panel by raistlin

raistlin
Hi all,

I'm looking for a smooth, white surfaced fibre glass panel roughly 450mm x 350mm x 3mm to make a new control panel for the model railway and I can't seem to find what I want anywhere.

Can anybody help please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Aug 2012, 09:21 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Fibre glass?
How about another material, Acrylic for example?
http://www.theplasticman.co.uk/index.ph ... calculator

Posted 25 Aug 2012, 09:49 #2 

Duncan
To be honest, I'd avoid glassfibre too. It's difficult to cut / drill neatly and you end up with cracks in the gel coat and glass fragments everywhere. I'd consider an aluminium panel spray painted if you want white. Either that or ABS (Antilock Braking System) is nice and workable as you can drill and file it nicely. I've never seen GRP sold just as sheet, as it tends to be used when a shape is required, as it's advantage is it's ease of making any shape you like.

Posted 25 Aug 2012, 12:39 #3 

raistlin
I think you may both have something there.

Especially if the plastic sheet doesn't react badly to dye sublimation printing :)

Plastic man looks good on price as well... until you look at delivery charges :( Mind you - they are local so I could probably collect :)
Paul

Posted 25 Aug 2012, 12:53 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Paul look at Trent plastics. I've used them for lots of stuff and they're not bad, they have an eBay shop, do custom sizes and cheap postage! :-)

Posted 25 Aug 2012, 21:22 #5 

wullie480
I can get a carbon fibre one made but it would be black instead of white.

Posted 14 Oct 2012, 18:27 #6 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

I eventually found a source for exactly the stuff I was looking for. The layout now has a nice new control panel.
Paul

Posted 14 Oct 2012, 18:37 #7