FBH still working today, yippee! by Rammie

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Rammie
Having spent the early part of last winter inducing my FBH (Fuel burning heater.) to work after 3 years of not working and spending a lot of time and effort in doing so, it was very reassuring to find that it fired up today @ 1degree C. this morning.

1st time I have needed it so far this year and, boy, it does make a lot of difference to heating the car on cold mornings.

Happy Bunny! :clap:
Brian

Posted 20 Oct 2010, 20:58 #1 

MrB
Wish I was in the same boat Brian

Mine has tried to fire up the last 2 mornings, 0 degrees yesterday and 3 degrees today, but failed on both occasions.

Russ did test it with the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) so this was not surprise. I need to check the glowplug and clean the combustion chamber as all electronics seem fine.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 11:20 #2 

Rammie
Soory to hear that Chris, they can be a pain.

There's me with a brand new one sitting in the garage, that has never been on a car!!

The only thing missing is the PCB (Printed Circuit Board), I swapped mine for it and this is being seen to by a friend, which reminds me, I must chase him up for it.

I also have a new temp sensor and dosing pump too. Really must get myself organised with these.
Brian

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 16:57 #3 

MrB
Do you know where you can get parts from, if it needs a new glowplug for instance?

Ebay doesn't seem very reliable for bits for them.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 17:34 #4 

Rammie
I know that I got my new one from Fleabay, so not all bad!

However, parts are a bit like Cuckoo Poo, rare! There are a couple of knowledgeable caps on the OC, FrenchMike & Matt1960 plus others who have far more knowledge of these than me and may be able to help, you've got nothing to lose?

I did find this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-WEBAS ... 19bfed7549

Not sure if it's the right part though.

Also check this Seller too, he does lots of bits for them http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sarkblue/m.html? ... 581&_pgn=2

:cheers:
Brian

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 18:04 #5 

Last edited by Rammie on 21 Oct 2010, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
VeeKay's FBH fired up this morning, no trouble at all :) Nice comfortable Winter ahead :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 18:25 #6 

Rammie
Hi Paul,
Yes it does make a great difference and I was without one for 3 years!! :hissyfit:

I would defo miss it if it packed up now, for sure. ;)
Brian

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 18:28 #7 

Jürgen
Rammie wrote:Happy Bunny! :clap:

I know how you feel, Brian. :lol:

It's good to have a working FBH indeed. During the last, cold winter I missed my little helper. But thanks to Stubie I was able to get my car prepared for the coming season. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I predict a very mild winter over here this time. :confused:

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 19:22 #8 

Rammie
Feel really pleased for you, they do make a difference, don't they?
Brian

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 19:29 #9 

Jürgen
Couldn't feel any difference ...

... during the summer months. :D
:gmc:

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 20:28 #10 

Ewok
Any tips on cleaning the combustion chamber etc?

Our FBH has not been working for a couple of years – but after fitting a new battery the other month it sprang back into life one cold morning. I knew it was working because of all the SMOKE.

Having not been working for so long and “trying” to work as it has in the past I guess it needed a good “burn” to clear it all. However it has stopped altogether now – after I fired it up with the remote – and it gave up after a minute or so of trying to work. I hope it’s just “locked out” Anyway – it’s next on my list – especially as the colder weather is on it’s way. Just fitted the inline thermostat fix – I have a heater that works again. LUXURY :-)

Posted 28 Nov 2012, 18:22 #11 

Duncan
If it tries to start and fails, it locks out, you seem to know. And replacing the battery would reset it, again you may be aware of that. You could reset it again by disconnecting it, but make sure you disconnect the multipin connector before the two way connector!

It could well be the glow plug is faulty, as these are also used to detect it's lit properly.

Posted 28 Nov 2012, 19:19 #12 

Ewok
Hi Duncan - thanks for that. I guessed a power off would reset it - I'll just leave the battery disconneted overnight. I've had massive problems in the past with the battery going flat - and with the whole electical system going belly up - all resolved now.

Glowplug - Yes I suspect this may be the culprit. I went through last winter with a U/S thermostst - which meant basically the FBH was on perminantly as the water temp never went over about 65deg. Spotted a link in the form to some on eBay.

We have a bit of a cold snap in the next few days - well below 5 deg - so I'll try and get out there and have a play.

Ewok. (Eric)
Yes Eric the Ewok...

Posted 29 Nov 2012, 18:14 #13 

Ewok
OK so tried it this evening. Disconnected the battery for half an hour or so, then reconnected and fired it up with the remote. All works fine - apart from the fact the allied forces would be able to make good use of the smoke cover it is able to generate. It does not seem to be giving any sort of sensible heat output either - so it's definitely due for a dismantle and an inspection.

Posted 29 Nov 2012, 23:15 #14 

Ewok
Managed to get time to whip the FBH off on Saturday morning.

Before / after - As you can see - a tad sooty!

So after a good clean it was back together and on the car. Fired up - full heat, no smoke - to start with - but then started to produce blacker and blacker smelly smoke. It's been a few days now - and the smoke is starting to turn white as before - so I suspect it has completely sooted up again.

The last tank was Morrisons – normally use Shell (you can be sure of Shell) but after a Christmas shop at Morrisons that could easily have bailed out the debts of any 3rd world country (or Spain) we had a voucher for lots of pence off Morrisons diesel - so I did. I seem to remember now reading elsewhere about Morrisons diesel causing smoke in someone’s FBH – never again.

So I expect it will be off again next weekend AFTER filling up as we normally do with Shell, better still Total or best of all Texaco - thats what ours seems to run best on.

Posted 04 Dec 2012, 16:44 #15 

Duncan
I can't see the difference in fuel causing it to get like that so quickly, on it's own. Either too much fuel is getting in, or not enough air. Did you clean the gauze that the air is blown through? Or maybe the air intake foam tube is a bit bunged up?

Posted 04 Dec 2012, 19:12 #16 

Ewok
Checked the intake - that was clear. Blew the exhaust out with the airline - that seemed nice and free BUT I didn’t do anything much with the gauze I have to admit - wasn't sure really how to go about attacking that. The combustion area just in front of the gauze has a series of air holes that air is blown in - they were all clear. Does anyone know if the gauze is supported at the back - how can you go about "cleaning" it.

Thinking on... There was a bit of carbon behind the glowplug joining it to the gauze - dead square - I thought it was meant to be there - I now realise obviously not.

I wonder if the glowplug is used as a temperature sensor (over and above flame sensor) and is used in any way to regulate the fuel delivery - in which case having a chunk of carbon "shorting" it back to the gauze would greatly affect the temperature. Anyway - coming out again this weekend for another good cleanand removing that blob of carbon.

Posted 04 Dec 2012, 22:25 #17