FBH - Remote Operation Via Mobile Phone? by DaveyC

DaveyC
I have read a lot of threads on the remote activation of the FBH (Fuel burning heater.). Mainly via either the T80 Webasto system or via inexpensive remote keyfob devices from Maplins and Ebay.

Ideally I would like to be able to do this from my mobile phone. What kit have members used to do this, as I'm sure there will be a number who have and what's the cheapest devices for doing this?

Thanks

Dave

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 08:51 #1 

Duncan
Webasto certainly have a kit for doing this. There must also be some cheap generic versions for mobiles on fleabay!

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 12:31 #2 

DaveyC
I've been looking at one of these...... http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item ... one-module

I have a couple of old mobiles lying around, so could pop it all in a suitable enclosure from maplins with a suitable charging setup for the phone.

Could be a good little project?

Dave :-)

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 06:45 #3 

Duncan
Just remember most pay as you go cards expire if you don't make a chargeable call withing something like 3 months. So you would have to take it out of the box every so often. There are other networks who are more lenient and allow incoming calls to reset the expiry timer. Check the Ts and Cs before deciding which network.

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 08:28 #4 

DaveyC
Hi Duncan, I have a "3" sim, which seems to never get switched off. Pulled it out my old laptop bag after about 2 years and popped it in my phone and sent it a text and blow me down it worked..... Chuffed :-)

So, I am still toying with the idea of using some sort of GSM device to start and stop my FBH.

Found this on Fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cellphone ... 3a829dffdf

Question is...... can this be modded to work with 12v and my FBH? If so, how would I do this? I'm willing to have a go and if I get it working do a full how to. Quite fancy an indoor project for when the weather changes.

Dave :-)

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 06:28 #5