FBH fixed by Frenchmike by al_dente

al_dente
Quick question aimed at Duncan or Raistlin...

At the last nano meet, we confirmed my FBH (Fuel burning heater.) was defective and you had to disable it before the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) would communicate with the car.

I sent the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) off to Frenchmike, who's fixed it. I fitted it to my car yesterday, but I think Duncan said that I'd need it re-enabling on the T4 before it will work. Have I remembered that correctly?

I'm coming to the Teddybears nano in October, so I could get this done then hopefully.

Posted 30 Sep 2012, 10:52 #1 

raistlin
Yes. It needs re-enabling with T4. Simple enough to do at the nano-meet :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Sep 2012, 11:24 #2 

Duncan
It will need reanabling, but only to enable diagnostics. It will work fine without enabling just T4 won't talk to it.

I bet you are glad we only taped that wire back, not cut it off!

Posted 30 Sep 2012, 11:48 #3 

al_dente
Thanks chaps.

I'll wait in anticipation for a cold morning then. Is it 8C or lower when it kicks in?

Posted 01 Oct 2012, 21:51 #4 

raistlin
al_dente wrote:Thanks chaps.

I'll wait in anticipation for a cold morning then. Is it 8C or lower when it kicks in?

5 degrees
Paul

Posted 01 Oct 2012, 21:52 #5 

Dave
Sad that the summer is over and the days are getting colder, but must admit that I am "sort of" looking forward to the first sub 5°c day! :mrgreen:

Posted 02 Oct 2012, 15:31 #6 

Jürgen
Dave wrote:[...] but must admit that I am "sort of" looking forward to the first sub 5°c day! :mrgreen:

That won't be a long wait ... :panic:

Posted 03 Oct 2012, 17:36 #7 

al_dente
Good news Dave, its gonna be a cold one tonight 2 - 3°C. 8-)

Posted 03 Oct 2012, 21:43 #8 

Duncan
So, was it cold enough?

Posted 04 Oct 2012, 07:56 #9 

Dave
LOL! It might have been, but not been out yet!! ;)

Posted 04 Oct 2012, 09:36 #10 

al_dente
No, 7.5°C when I left this morning. Should have gone out in the middle of the night before the cloud cover came over. :cry:

Posted 04 Oct 2012, 11:20 #11 

Dave
I was thinking I need to do that too! :)

On the other hand, if the FBH turns out to be as loud as some say, I'd end up waking the neighbours!! :mrgreen:

Posted 04 Oct 2012, 14:08 #12 

al_dente
4.5°C this morning an nothing from the FBH :-(

The temp sensor behind the front grill was hanging off when I changed the oil, so perhaps that's not working? Doesn't the FBH use a different temp sensor to the one that displays the outside temp on the dashboard?

Anyway, I think I'll look up which pin to connect to 12v to fire it up manually I think.

Posted 06 Oct 2012, 07:14 #13 

Duncan
Yes, a different sensor. It's further to the right of the car (left as you look through the grille. It's mounted closer to the radiator and looks a bit like a parking sensor. It could be dirty connections, rather than the sensor itself.

Posted 06 Oct 2012, 07:17 #14 

raistlin
al_dente wrote:Anyway, I think I'll look up which pin to connect to 12v to fire it up manually I think.

If you click on the link to my projects in my sig, you'll see the one for the parking heater mod. In there you'll be able to sort out which model of FBH you have and the associated way of making it fire up.

HTH
Paul

Posted 06 Oct 2012, 08:25 #15 

al_dente
Duncan tested the FBH at the last Nano and it fired up correctly, so I was assuming that either the temperature wasn't low enough when I tested last time - or I hadn't given the FBH long enough to kick in.

I was away on holiday last week, but this morning I was able to test with it at 2°C.

It works!!, so kudos to Frenchmike to fixing it for me.

Posted 05 Nov 2012, 19:24 #16 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Not really wanting or needing a freezing cold winter, but if it be so then I'm pleased for you that your FBH is fully functioning. :)

Posted 05 Nov 2012, 19:50 #17