Fault code reader or sevice light tool? by morrisfan

morrisfan
Hi all.
I'm new to this site after only buying my ZT-T in the last couple of days (from one of your members).
Just a quick question, my car is the ZT-T CDTi (2004), I intend to do my own servicing, is it worth buying an eobd2 compliant fault code reader £20-£30 on ebay, or just buy a service light re-setting tool and have the car checked every now and again by someone with a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) who knows how to use it?
Is the fault code reader likely to give me any information which as a reasonably competent home mechanic I could actually understand and use?
Thanks.
Neil.

Posted 04 Oct 2010, 20:22 #1 

JohnDotCom
T4 is the only unit that really gives the correct readings and meanings of codes all the generic ones miss many of the stored fault codes I'm afraid.
The mileage reset tool is a easy to use no bother option and doers what it says.

The code readers do clear the engine check lights etc but other than for real basics don't really help a lot,
clear all codes stored using one and it will say no faults but put it on a T4 and the codes recorded will still be there as well as fault codes missed by Generic code reader, well thats what I have found anyway.

Many of the Nano Community meets etc have a T4 present for members and others have them for moderate charges such as member Russ or Big Russ. (Based Yorkshire way)

Welcome to the Community by the way. :)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Oct 2010, 18:32 #2 

takestock
:iagree: with wot the newbie JDC said
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Oct 2010, 19:35 #3 

paffendorfbg
hi
I can sell you bmw scanner 1.4 ,it can read engine -but shows only amount of errors and clear them
can read ABS (Antilock Braking System),EWS (Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung))-immo ,FBH (Fuel burning heater.),light modul,air bag -in this case it shows the errors and clear them
also can do - instrument cluster ,heater/air con ,central body electric and radio

there are special function available like changing language ,reading/writing and save EEPROM's,EWS CODING ,key status and so on ...

Posted 16 Jun 2011, 10:42 #4 

Duncan
paffendorfbg wrote:hi
I can sell you bmw scanner 1.4 ,it can read engine -but shows only amount of errors and clear them
can read ABS,EWS-immo ,FBH,light modul,air bag -in this case it shows the errors and clear them
also can do - instrument cluster ,heater/air con ,central body electric and radio

there are special function available like changing language ,reading/writing and save EEPROM's,EWS CODING ,key status and so on ...

I don't doubt it can communicate with some BMW parts, but some things are not the same as BMW, for example the instrument pack and the body controller. So have you actually tested that it can do instrument cluster, heater / aircon? I question this in particular because the radios have no diagnostics, and the heater only version doesn't either, only the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) version. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but please assure me you have tested it, not just assuming it works OK.

Regarding the OP's question. I think it's generally acknowledged, the universal code readers aren't a lot of help, because th codes are a bit too generic.

Posted 16 Jun 2011, 12:24 #5