Fan Dance by Jumper

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Jumper
Fan Dance.

Had my R75 nigh on three years now. Never the slightest problem, impeccable manners and unimpeachable behaviour. The car, that is.
Past few days though, the car seems to have caught St. Vitus’ Dance. Or acquired a nervous disposition. Turn on from cold (overnight) and, before reaching normal working temperature, the fan cuts in. Stays on for 3/5 seconds and then goes off for about 15/20 seconds. Then stays on that cycle continuously. No coolant loss anywhere, level is constant when cold. No muck in ’V’. Doesn’t overheat (stays at 9 o’clock). Embryonic problem? Or am I….. well, you know….

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 18:04 #1 

kandyman
Sounds like the fan resistor.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 18:45 #2 

takestock
If you have the later 2 speed fan it is possible the low speed resistor has failed. If you select econ on the A/C panel the fan should stop until the engine reaches temp.
Give it a try and come back to us
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 18:48 #3 

kandyman
takestock wrote:If you have the later 2 speed fan it is possible the low speed resistor has failed. If you select econ on the A/C panel the fan should stop until the engine reaches temp.
Give it a try and come back to us

That's what I was going to say but I only popped out of the mellow room to get another drink before the football started again and did't have time :)

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 19:07 #4 

Duncan
What that man said. My V6 did that when I first had it. 3 speed fan with 2 speeds working. It only did this cycle at low speeds, over 30 there was enough airflow to prevent the problem.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 19:39 #5 

Jumper
Thanks chaps. Will investigate first thing tomorrow.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:47 #6 

Jumper
Well, tried the 'econ' from first start - made no difference unfortunately. Same symptons today, if stone cold and pointer at bottom (6 o'clock) - fan comes on at say, 7 o'clock for 5 seconds and off for 15/20 seconds. Cycle persists and gauge never exceeds 9 o'clock. Most odd, never even heard the fan before! Next: to do a longer trip at high (ish) speed although increased road and wind noise might hamper.

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 12:55 #7 

Duncan
Oh. I wasn't expecting that. Need to have a bit more of a thunk about this one.

Do you know if you have a 2 or 3 speed? You can tell by looking for the resistor (usually).

It may be worth using the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) diagnostics to see if the temperature is jumping about. The damping in the needle might hide it. There's a how to somewhere.

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 15:52 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Jumper
Well, tried a longer trip at about 60/70 mph but with inconclusive results. Symptoms still apparent. Although am aware of existing doubts of some owners regarding the accuracy/reliability of temperature gauges, as it never exceeds 9o’clock, and while coolant levels remain constant, I intend to leave well alone. Temporarily. Am hoping to get to the next nano meet (still a virgin- can’t seem..to..quite..go..all..the..way) when a magician amongst might be persuaded to cast a gimlet eye over the plot. I suspect the only thing to be revealed will be my paranoia. But that doesn’t mean a problem might be about to explode.
Thanks to all for the prompt replies.

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 14:01 #10