failed mot today. by 1gp

1gp
well took the old girl for a mot today , after it being sat in my garage since christmas. well the result was it failed on n/s track rod end, and Brake pipes front to rear ( rust around clips that hold them on ) pretty pleased really saying its 11 years old this year . mot guy said it was a great example for its age ,and a really nice car , which made me smile, even thou he had just failed it lol. now i no why i love my 75.

Posted 11 May 2011, 22:27 #1 

Dallas
Thats not bad at all :thumbsup:

Mines is currently in for MOT and has failed on just the handbrake, (excessive travel) :rolling: not bad for 11 years young................. :thumbsup:

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:38 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It may be possible to remove brake line clips, clean up the pipe if not badly corroded, clean and replace clips then Waxoyl to prevent further degradation.

Posted 12 May 2011, 11:57 #3 

PaulT
Just to hijack this a little....

A friends 75 failed on brake pipes and the garage claims they had to remove the fuel tank. Is that correct, is there one that this is required?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:01 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Drop fuel tank is correct, however I believe there is a way around it. I could be searching for a while so I'll leave it for an expert to answer fully.

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:14 #5 

Pete
"It may be possible to remove brake line clips, clean up the pipe if not badly corroded, clean and replace clips then Waxoyl to prevent further degradation."

I'll second that statement Mick, that's exactly what I did.
In fact I asked my MOT man if I could take a good look at the pipes while it was up on the ramp, he said it would be fine to clean then up, treat them, and re-fix if the corrosion wasn't too bad (which it wasn't).
I bought some new clips 'cause I broke a couple of the originals - they'd become quite brittle.

BTW, no need to remove the fuel tank if you need to replace the pipes, simply re-route the new ones avoiding to go over the tank. Just make sure they're positioned safely out of harms way and secured properly.

Ciao, Pete (from Genoa, and yes I'm leaving flyers on the few 75's I see :)

Posted 12 May 2011, 13:18 #6 

Duncan
I replaced the pipes over the tank, without removing the tank.

There seems to be debate about whether the pipes are clipped above the tank. My V reg saloon had no clips up there, but it seems that the parts catalogue shows some. Maybe they were a later addition.

Anyway, I used the copper type pipe: threaded it up and over using the two access holes under the rear seat to help with access,

Posted 12 May 2011, 19:44 #7 

Dallas
Duncan wrote:I replaced the pipes over the tank, without removing the tank.

There seems to be debate about whether the pipes are clipped above the tank. My V reg saloon had no clips up there, but it seems that the parts catalogue shows some. Maybe they were a later addition.

Anyway, I used the copper type pipe: threaded it up and over using the two access holes under the rear seat to help with access,

I had the same issue with my 'V' reg regarding the clips, got told they needed to be present and would fail the MOT if none were fitted.

Posted 12 May 2011, 20:00 #8 

1gp
Pete wrote:"It may be possible to remove brake line clips, clean up the pipe if not badly corroded, clean and replace clips then Waxoyl to prevent further degradation."

I'll second that statement Mick, that's exactly what I did.
In fact I asked my MOT man if I could take a good look at the pipes while it was up on the ramp, he said it would be fine to clean then up, treat them, and re-fix if the corrosion wasn't too bad (which it wasn't).
I bought some new clips 'cause I broke a couple of the originals - they'd become quite brittle.

BTW, no need to remove the fuel tank if you need to replace the pipes, simply re-route the new ones avoiding to go over the tank. Just make sure they're positioned safely out of harms way and secured properly.

Ciao, Pete (from Genoa, and yes I'm leaving flyers on the few 75's I see :)

mmmmm, going to replace mine , its job done then, and not got to worry again. going to route them around the tank , its fine doing this as someone has said, if they are out of harms way and secure. doing work myself, so its been a cheap fix about £42 for brake pipe and track rod end.will be done friday .

Posted 12 May 2011, 21:16 #9 

1gp
another years mot on the old girl , happy days.

Posted 14 May 2011, 20:24 #10