Erratic Temperature Gauge behaviour. by gramshep

gramshep
Hi First post so if this has been covered before please forgive me.
I have a 52 plate ZTT. Occasionally when being pushed on a bit, the temp gauge flicks up into the red , the light comes on and then it drops back to normal. In the past this has been linked to lost coolant that was ascribed to the welds in complex pipes below the engine. This has now been "fixed" but yesterday to my despair the gauge did this jumping about again. When I pulled it over worrying that the repair was no good it still had water in it. It was behaving very much identical to Typhoon TT's situation and I do have mayo in my rocker box (this could be down to really short journeys tho'). I also blow a dose of steam out of the exhaust when I give it some welly first thing.
I am puzzled and worried if it is head gaskets, maybe the cross tubes behind the rad rusted out but i would hope that Sterling Auto in Eastbourne might have spotted those when the fixed the last water leak.
Any body have any ideas what it might be? Could it be really simple like a wonky tem sensor? It only does it after it has been running for some time and then only at motorway speed.

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 12:37 #1 

Duncan
Ben (Typhoon) had a problem with water getting into the wiring for the temp sensor and this could give your symptoms. Take the connector off the temp sensor and have a look for any traces of pink water (coolant) in the plug.

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 13:08 #2 

gramshep
Thank you so much for that.

There is evidence of quite a bit of water leakage around the sensor. Blue corrosion, rust in the valley, but despite a thorough thrashing I cannot see any leakage anywhere although lots of crap out the exhaust pipe during aforesaid thrashing!

The rocker breathers were completely clogged and the T piece broken and cobbled together with tape. so new ordered from Rimmers

Is there a chance there might be an airlock in the system?

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 21:18 #3 

gramshep
Sorry, meant to add is there anyway of getting to sensor without manifold strip down?

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 21:19 #4