Engine cooling fan, strange behaviour by tcable

tcable
I had the bumper off my car the other weekend to fit some headlight washers, whilst i was there i fitted a new outside temperature sender as mine had been hit by something and was hanging down by its wire, although it was still working.

Then last night when the wife came home i didnt hear her as i always have before, the fan is usually running quite loudly as the climate control is always on.

I thought the fan might be broken but when i went outside and looked the fan was running, just much slower and quieter than usual, so is this normal??

It's a 2000 cdt by the way

Posted 31 Aug 2011, 17:03 #1 

tcable
OK, its not a question anymore, clearly the fan is shot, where do i get a new one and how difficult will it be to do myself??

Any help will be greatly recieved

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 19:04 #2 

takestock
Assuming you have an old three spped fan ( almost certain) then there are three options.

1. Re brush your existing fan, cost in parts around £15, 50/50 success rate. labour time 3hours

2. Switch to the trouble free two speed fan, plug and play, upgrade the standard resistor 100% permanent fix. I believe Artic ( member on here has one for sale). labour time around 2 to 2 1/2
hours

3 switch to a kenlowe conversion simple wiring upgrade required seem to be reliable and come with fitting instructions on the conversion cost around £150 on the bay of E
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLING-RADIA ... 4667wt_932
labour time around 3 hours
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 19:36 #3 

tcable
So would the kenlowe option be a fit and forget thing, or would i wind up in the same boat a few years down the line?

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 20:09 #4 

takestock
kenlowe to date has been a fit and forget :) but the mod has only been available for around 2 yr, but kenlowe is, well its kenlowe :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Sep 2011, 21:08 #5 

tcable
So who do i speak to regarding the 2 speed / Kenlowe options, do we have a fan expert?? i know my way around a car but i might need some help with this one!

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 15:20 #6 

tcable
OK then, has anybody on here done this themselves then and can maybe advise me further?

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 20:52 #7 

takestock
I've done a few kenlowes for members, and had the fan off mine Toooooo many times.

contact Artic for a good price on a spare two speed OEM fan he has would be my advice.

Fan change is:
front bumper off
slam panel and headlights off
cut fan shroud around ircon pipes and remove shroud inc fan
remove fan from shroud

Either fit repacement 2 speed exactly as existing was fitted
or ftr replacement kenlowe following inst given.

Are you anywhere near the Wolverhampton nano meet on the 16/17 Sept, couple of us could do it with you and guide you through it, Failing that i am at the Doncaster meet tomorrow rebuilding a fan for a member there, wont have time to do another in the day but if you were there you could observe :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:29 #8 

tcable
Cheers again takestock, you think a 2 speed is the best bet then, not the Kenlowe? i am getting on a bit and can't be pulling the bumper on and off my car all the time so i really want to get the fan which is least likely to fail again!

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:33 #9 

tcable
Sorry, forgot to say, i am nowhere near any of you sadly, i have to rely on garages for anything i cant do myself!

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:33 #10 

takestock
Hopefully Artic will be in touch shortly, will see if between us we can sort a how to ;)

Edit: where are you?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:38 #11 

tcable
Most of the time at 5 mins from Lands end although i do have a house in south Devon

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:41 #12 

JohnDotCom
Only done genuine ones. Jules sells them ready to fit, and will also fit of course, based in N.Wales.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:57 #13 

tcable
So is Jules the man to speak to then?

Posted 02 Sep 2011, 21:59 #14 

tcable
OK i have sent a message to artic (i think)

Posted 03 Sep 2011, 17:10 #15