Electrical Gremlins - NOW SORTED by MrB

MrB
Got in my 75 to take her for a well earned drink at the local Tesco and have a permanent warning that the bonnet is open.

So of course I get out give the bonnet a push, definitely shut, warning still on so I open it and push the switch a couple of times, my 9 year old tells me still says bonnet open so I shut the bonnet and think ah well, lets take the old girl for her drink and see if it goes away.

Then on my drive I notice, no indicators, heated rear window isn't working, well it makes a beep when I press it but the switch doesn't light.

Nothing happening on the high line head unit either, screen is lit up black but nothing doing with it.

I have had a quick play back home and the indicators are actually working but the indicator lights are not working on the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) and there is no sound for them. Also the recirc button doesn't work on the climate either.

There is no water in the plenum chamber, all fuses under the bonnet seem fine, no water in the boot. Any ideas guys, I am at loss.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 20:22 #1 

MrB
Just to let you know.

I tried a battery re-set and this didn't sort it.

Then I disconnected the FBH (Fuel burning heater.) and another battery re-set and everything is back to normal.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 22:36 #2 

Ragman
Had similar experience in mine - new battery was the fix in my case

You've got me wondering now if a reset would have fixed it - hey ho done now

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 22:43 #3 

MrB
Fairly certain is the pcb in the FBH that was causing it.

Am off over to see Russ this week and we're gonna have a look at the wiring under the Under Bonnet fusebox as he feels this may be where the problem lies.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 05 Jun 2011, 23:14 #4 

JohnDotCom
FBH boards have been known to cause all sorts of problems when they go wrong.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 08:18 #5 

Duncan
If the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) on the FBH goes faulty, it can cause Kbus problems, and that can have all sorts of effects similar to those you describe.In particular, the indicators flashing but nothing in the IPK is typical of Kbus being down. The same is true of the hiline: black screen, and probably white bar at the bottom, but nothing else.

The FBH Kbus wire is only used for when connected to the diagnostic computer, so many people just remove this pin from the connector and taape it back, remebering to plug the hole to stop water getting in. Sometimes this is all that's required and the FBH still works although T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) has a strop when it can't talk to it.

Posted 06 Jun 2011, 12:24 #6