Electrical gremlin? by takestock

takestock
Had this for a while now, but never got round to looking into it.

Passenger side mirror will operate up and down from the switch but sometimes will only adjust out, next time it ign is turned on that may change to up and down adjustment still but will only adjust in :confused: .

As said never got around to looking at it but just noticed that when the operation of the mirror fails when pressing the button, (either in or out) the dash lights come on everso dimly.

My powerfold upgrade from Paul will not have any impact on it as i provided a separate harness from one side of the car to the other when i installed it, and anyway the fault seems to be with the glass adjustment not the powerfold action.

I have changed the switch assy for another one and exactly the same happens so that can be excluded.

I suspect the harness connections by the doors suffering from water ingress/corrosion, unless anybody else knows better. :confused:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 13:41 #1 

JohnDotCom
I've had similar Dave and it was the pins on joining block in floorwell section getting damp. Purely intermittent.
Not much help as no pictures, sorry.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 13:46 #2 

raistlin
I had immediately leapt to the switchpack Dave, as the directional switch is notoriously fickle. Having read your post further though, I agree with John and think you should be looking at the door jamb cable break. John's was a bit of a mess owing to water contamination and corrosion but a bit of a clean up and Duncan's prompt first aid with a new terminal or two sorted the problem.

If you find any terminals which could do with replacement, I can let you have some, again courtesy of Duncan :)

You'd need a fairly specialized crimping tool to make the terminations as well, which I could lend you if needed :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 14:34 #3 

takestock
raistlin wrote:I had immediately leapt to the switchpack Dave, as the directional switch is notoriously fickle. Having read your post further though, I agree with John and think you should be looking at the door jamb cable break. John's was a bit of a mess owing to water contamination and corrosion but a bit of a clean up and Duncan's prompt first aid with a new terminal or two sorted the problem.

If you find any terminals which could do with replacement, I can let you have some, again courtesy of Duncan :)

You'd need a fairly specialized crimping tool to make the terminations as well, which I could lend you if needed :)

Thanks Paul, what is strange is that sometimes the mirror will not adjust out, other times it will not adjust in. knowing what we know about the reversing of current from the powerfold action, and the subsequent need for the diode to prevent the current going back down in to the harness after our modification, made me wonder if this was a contributary factor. Still I think now I have tested with an alternative switch pack and the fact the drivers side is fine the problem is, as you say, in the door pillar connectors ;) Will let you know :).
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:15 #4 

JohnDotCom
Best of luck with this Dave or a small job at the Nano meet. ;)
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:26 #5 

takestock
Cheers John, How you keeping? :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:32 #6 

JohnDotCom
Getting there very slowly. Thanks.
John

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:40 #7 

takestock
Ther is a joke there somewhere but even I'm not that cruel John :D :D :D. See you soon i hope matey :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:41 #8 

JohnDotCom
Thanks for not exploring the Joke. :D You have a PM.
John

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:47 #9 

Duncan
Not a simple one to diagnose, for sure.

The mirror operation is essentially simple. There are three wires that run from the drivers switchpack across to the passenger door. In the passenger door, one of these splits in two, to make a total of four wires.

The single wire that splits (Grey / White) is attached to one end of each motor. Then there's a grey pink for horizontal, and grey light green for vertical.

To move the motors, one way the grey white is grounded, and one of the other wires connected to 12v. To move it the other way, the grey white is connected to 12v, and the other wire grounded.

So I can't see a way a wiring fault could make it move one way only, as the same wires are used to move inwards and outwards, just supplied the other way round. Maybe the motor itself is in a bad way?

Might be worth getting at the mirror connector and measuring voltages on the plug.

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 13:35 #10 

takestock
Thanks for the explanation Duncan, the mirror is a powerfold and brand new from Bob. tried the old powerfold one, exactly the same. will report back when i have time to investigate :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 13:43 #11