Electrical advice by mark_bonsai (Page 1 of 2)

mark_bonsai
I was a bit bored at work today and my mind started to wander on to car modifications; the way it does, and I started to mull over an idea I’ve been thinking about for a while.
Now this is going to be for one of you electrical guru’s out there, yes Mr Eckett I’m looking at you.
A while back one of the door lock buttons in the back of mine became detached and dropped into the bottom of the door. I retrieved it, but never re-fitted it and as such I’ve just had one of the escutcheons with a hole in it. This is what set my mind a wandering.
Would it be possible to mount a 9mm domed LED (Light Emitting Diode) in these that glow red when the central locking is activated and turn off when the car is unlocked?
I don’t want them bright or flashing with the alarm LED on the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)), just glowing red.
Would these draw too much power and drain the battery? Would wiring them in this way be too complex? I ask the experts as my electrical knowledge is limited.

Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 17:56 #1 

raistlin
Yes. No. No :D

Yes, it can be done.

No, it shouldn't drain a reasonably healthy battery

No, it would not be difficult :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 18:37 #2 

JohnDotCom
Sounds like another Nano install project/job.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 18:43 #3 

Zeb
I LIKE this idea....but I'd want mine flashing... :D

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 18:46 #4 

Duncan
Flashing is actually better. Cos if they flash on for a short time, off for a longer one, you are saving over half the power (almost).

Typical LED is 30mA is, so one in each door is about 120mA or 0.12amps. Would only start to be a worry if your battery was poor, or you intend to leave your car unused for weeks.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 18:57 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Nice idea Mark. Do it or get a man that won't cause you car to go up in flames to do it for you. (I've nearly set fire to two cars from messing with electrics, it's a knack i have) :D :D

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:01 #6 

JohnDotCom
Mick wrote:Nice idea Mark. Do it or get a man that won't cause you car to go up in flames to do it for you. (I've nearly set fire to two cars from messing with electrics, it's a knack i have) :D :D

Not much better luck with Nano barbeques either eh Mick. :D :gmc:
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:17 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
JohnDotCom wrote:
Mick wrote:Nice idea Mark. Do it or get a man that won't cause you car to go up in flames to do it for you. (I've nearly set fire to two cars from messing with electrics, it's a knack i have) :D :D

Not much better luck with Nano barbeques either eh Mick. :D :gmc:

You could get banned for off topic posts. :D

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:19 #8 

JohnDotCom
Mick wrote:You could get banned for off topic posts. :D

Thats already been done!! :roll:
John

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:35 #9 

raistlin
Mick wrote: get a man that won't cause you car to go up in flames to do it for you.

Lets me out then :D
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:43 #10 

JohnDotCom
Would the IPK alarm pulse be the best for flashing lights when doors locked and alarmed?
John

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:44 #11 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote:Would the IPK alarm pulse be the best for flashing lights when doors locked and alarmed?

Personally, my first thought was the lock and unlock solenoid pulses.
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:54 #12 

mark_bonsai
I did think about having them flashing with the alarm IPK led, but decided, and it's only personal preferance, that I'd just like them to glow red. Also figured that a 9mm led would be quite bright if flashing. That said, what I know about led's, isn't a lot!!

All input on how to go about this and where to obtain the said led's would be greatfully received.

I can do basic wiring but I think this may be a little outside my skill range :em:
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:54 #13 

raistlin
Zeb wrote:I LIKE this idea....but I'd want mine flashing... :D

What about your LEDs though? :gmc:
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:55 #14 

takestock
Soon have you down to my level Paul :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 19:57 #15 

takestock
raistlin wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote:Would the IPK alarm pulse be the best for flashing lights when doors locked and alarmed?

As John said for a flashing LED the pulse is already there as it shows on the dash with the existing flashing LED, just a matter of finding the connection isn't it. Like this idea a lot already.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:01 #16 

Last edited by takestock on 03 Mar 2011, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
You lot, kindly leave the planet. :D

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:01 #17 

raistlin
takestock wrote:Soon have you down to my level Paul :D

On the contrary Dave, you'd need a JCB to get down to MY level. You forget I work in a college full of military students ;)
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:02 #18 

raistlin
takestock wrote:
raistlin wrote:

As John said for a flashing LED the pulse is already there as it shows on the dash with the existing flashing LED, just a matter of finding the connection isn't it. Like this idea a lot already.

But you'd need to thread wiring through FOUR doors :gmc:
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:03 #19 

raistlin
Mick wrote:You lot, kindly leave the planet. :D

Que? :confused:
Paul

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:03 #20