Electric Sunblind issues by SpongeBob

SpongeBob
So my sunblind has stopped working. I'm not sure when it stopped working as I haven't used it in a while but today I pressed the button and nowt happened :(

I can hear the motor/relay clicking in the back parcel shelf so I know power is getting there from the switch but the blind doesn't move. I've tried pulling on the blind and pressing the switch but it wont budge. I know that a tap from a hammer on the motor can get it to unjam sometimes but I have the HK amp under the parcel shelf.

So... my question is two-fold:

1. Are there any other methods of unsticking the sunblind?
  2. If not, how does the HK amp fit to the underside of the boot? I can see four fairly chunky screws/nuts - are there any more fittings or hidden/tricky catches or things also holding the amp up?

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 21:08 #1 

Duncan
Paul has had intermittent problems with his sunblind. Each time removing the blind and applying volts direct to the motor has fixed it. Last time we also dissasembled the motor and clean the contacts (commutator) inside. To be honest, Im not sure what the real problem is, might be just a rubbish motor.

The subwoofer (the amp is on the right hand side) is indeed fixed by those hex head things that are actually just big self tapping screws into plastic inserts in the metal shelf. Not hard at all to undo, and just the one four way plug on the right hand side.

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 21:41 #2 

SpongeBob
Cheers for that Duncan, I'll take a look one evening this week and see what I can find/fix :)

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 21:59 #3 

Duncan
If you don't get anywhere, are you coming to the Nano? ISTR you are quite local to me anyway if not.

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 22:10 #4 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:Paul has had intermittent problems with his sunblind.

It doesn't help when you've an antique invoice wrapped around the spindle either ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 22:21 #5 

SpongeBob
Got past the HK amp/sub and was able to bash (what appeared to be, at an educated guess) the motor but still no joy :( I can hear the relay clicking still but movement is lacking. Do you think the motor could be kaput?

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 20:03 #6 

Duncan
The motor may be the problem, but just because percussive maintenance doesn't resolve it, it may still be fixable.

Really need to get the shelf / blind out and apply power directly. If that doesn't fix it, taking the brush box off and cleaning the motor commutator might extend its life.

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 20:41 #7