Easy to understand language please by raistlin

raistlin
Hi all,

My new NAS has two ethernet jacks and apparently has the ability to work at double speed if both are connected to a "suitable" switch.

Does anybody know what is meant by "suitable" please? Also, assuming I could get double speed to a suitable switch, what effect would there be for data speed downstream of the switch?

Any (simple) explanations gratefully received - thanks.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 19:33 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Is it Synology? If so the dual lan connection (Link aggregation) is only of benefit if multiple users are accessing the device at the same time.

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:09 #2 

raistlin
It's QNAP David. TS469L
Paul

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:11 #3 

Jürgen
Hi Paul. This technique is called link aggregation, basically two network connections are used as if it were just one. It's especially useful for servers to handle lots of traffic of many clients.

Anyway, there won't be any advantage regarding a connection to a single PC. Firstly you'll also need two network interfaces on your PC, and secondly the client OS most probably won't be able to support link aggregation. Thirdly the switch must be configured accordingly, which isn't possible with all of them.

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:13 #4 

raistlin
Bit of a non starter then.

Thanks chaps :)
Paul

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:18 #5 

Duncan
I don't think the disk transfer speed would be up to dealing with two gigabit connections either would it?

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 20:57 #6 

raistlin
No idea Duncan.
Paul

Posted 18 Nov 2013, 21:15 #7